Cleaning up the computer can speed it up and fix slowed-down disk access. There are many sources around the Internet which describe this topic in more detail. This post will provide you with a basic overview.
A) Automatic cleanup
We recommend using AVG PC Tuneup for easy cleaning and tuning the system.
One time fix is available for free. AVG PC Tuneup trial version can be downloaded here. Trial period is limited to 24 hours after installing.
AVG PC Tuneup is a powerful application featuring the following tools: - Disk Cleaner
- Disk Defrag
- Registry Cleaner
- Registry Defrag
- Disk Doctor
- Internet Optimizer
- Track Eraser
- Disk Wipe
- File Shredder
- File Recovery
- Duplicate File Finder
- Services Manager
- Startup Manager
- Uninstall Manager
- Tweak Manager
- Task Manager
- Disk Explorer
- System Information
Detailed description of all features is available in the AVG PC Tuneup manual freely downloadable on this web page.
B) Manual cleanup
First, please delete temporary files:
1. Save your work and close all running applications.
2. Double-click the Computer (or My computer) icon on your Desktop.
3. Right-click the system hard drive, and then click Properties.
4. On the General tab, click Disk Cleanup.
5. Click Clean up system files to elevate access rights.
6. Select files you would like to remove, and then click OK. Generally, any temporary files can be removed.
You can use tools like the CCleaner which are able to delete more unnecessary files.
Defragment your hard disk.
Windows provides a built-in utility to defragment your hard disk.
1. Double-click the Computer (or My computer) icon on your Desktop.
2. Right-click the system hard drive, and then select the Properties menu item.
3. Click the Tools tab, and then click Defragment now...
4. Click Analyze disk to see the fragmentation overview.
5. Click Defragment disk, and then allow the defragmentation process to complete.
You can also use third-party defragment tools to perform this task (e.g. the Defraggler). These tools often feature more advanced options.
Please note that it is better to defragment your hard disk in safe mode with no other tasks running.