Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Installed PowerISO.. I Protest
July 16, 2012 05:54 Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212465
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
superasn

Novice
To whomsoever this may concern;

I recently installed a software (PowerISO) and without consent it installed AVG toolbar and other software on my system which has completely modified my computer without my knowledge.

My browser (Chrome) now goes to your AVG homepage and Google search has also been replaced by AVG. The same is happening in Firefox and Internet Explorer. This has caused me hours in productivity and unnecessary frustration. The same is also happening after I uninstalled your toolbar (from inside Program and features)

I did NOT want this and modifying my computer like this is totally unacceptable. Your call yourself a anti-virus company while in fact the behavior is exactly that of a mal-ware which hijacks your browser and causes problems.

I am also posting on Reddit and other sites to check if the AVG software also steals private data like keystrokes and credit card number apart from hijacking browser and websites (even after uninstall it still goes to AVG site by the way!).

I am further going to write to FCC to report this matter and other blogging communities so other people are made aware of this.

You have been warned.

Kind Regards,
San Kumar.
July 16, 2012 08:36 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212471
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello superasn,

We would like to inform you that installation of AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search is optional (as you can see on this screenshot). Please contact the PowerISO company because it looks like bug in their installer. They have tools for debugging their installation process and finding the glitch. We cannot change the PowerISO installer from our side.

Please follow this guide to remove AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search from your browsers.

Do not hesitate to provide us with the feedback to our services by filling in the AVG Product Feedback Form.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 16, 2012 10:56 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212487
BIG AL 43

@ superasn

Also FAQ #4934 may interest you.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
July 17, 2012 06:17 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212571
superasn

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
@ superasn

Also FAQ #4934 may interest you.

Ok tell me two things:

1. Don't you think that the placement of checkbox is extremely shady? I had to look at the screenshot twice before noticing it. It almost feels like being tricked into opting-in.

2. More Importantly: Why does AVG not remove it's homepage and search engine, etc settings after uninstall? Do you think it's wise to waste a user's time to have this all removed manually afterwards. Also some users may not be tech savvy enough to remove them by hand, where do they go? Should they pay for IT support because a company deceptively installed a toolbar and changed the computer settings unnecessarily and now refuses to revert it's modification even after uninstall?

You had the audacity to change my settings in the first place just because I was tricked into clicking a shady checkbox, why should I have to read a FAQ and manually revert them after? Do you have no respect for your user's time? I'm sure the programmer who wrote the program to change my settings in the first place could definitely write a uninstaller to revert them too. But you would not do that.

It's a shame that of all the unscrupulous companies who would use such ploys, an anti-virus company like AVG is doing it instead! I'm sorry but this is just too fishy.

I would still like to give you benefit of doubt that you didn't know about it, but now that you do, will you do something about it?
July 17, 2012 08:17 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212574
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello superasn,

Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences with AVG product.

Don't you think that the placement of checkbox is extremely shady? I had to look at the screenshot twice before noticing it. It almost feels like being tricked into opting-in.

Please contact the PowerISO company regarding implementation of the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search into their installer.

Why does AVG not remove it's homepage and search engine, etc settings after uninstall?

Please fill in the AVG Product Feedback Form to contact product management directly.

...some users may not be tech savvy enough to remove them by hand, where do they go?

We are ready to help users which have difficulties removing AVG Security Toolbar and AVG Secure Search. Users can post here on AVG Forums and also contact AVG Technical Support for further information. We would welcome tips how to improve our guides to be more user friendly.

Thank you for taking your time to contact us.

AVG Team

July 18, 2012 00:51 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212694
alex87110

Novice
No luck..

I followed steps to remove from Chrome browser but it doesnt work even after System restore
July 18, 2012 07:51 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #212705
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello alex87110,

Have you uninstalled the AVG Security Toolbar prior changing Chrome settings? Which setting could not be reverted?

Please provide us with version of your Google Chrome and also the MSInfo output if the issue persists.

Thank you.

AVG Team

September 12, 2012 14:18 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #216297
interaction

Novice
Ridiculous..

Hi,

I have the same problem, I accidently installed it when installing PowerISO. I don't understand why AVG still messes up my browser, it must be some really intrusive script you're using.

Now I have uninstalled the add-on in chrome, deleted the alternative of avg as search engine in chrome and also uninstalled, deleted programs and removed everything about AVG I could find on my computer.

Still... every time i open chrome its unable to open my homepage and avg search opens in a new tab....

HOW is this possible? It makes me really frustrated!

Regards, Joakim
September 12, 2012 14:53 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #216304
interaction

Novice
Finally sorted it out..

When i removed the extension in chrome it seems that it added itself as a tab that should be opened in the section "group of pages" that should be opened on start.

However, you should think about making it easier to remove your software because this just makes people angry.
September 17, 2012 13:44 Re: Installed PowerISO.. I Protest #216588
Anonymous user

Administrator
Hello interaction,

Please note that Easy removal is already implemented see Weekly Overview: 38/2012 section "AVG Secure Search uninstallation".

Thank you

AVG Team