Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update
December 2, 2010 05:13 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132887
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Ironwood treefolk

Novice
Wow, your the man or woman Teckdragon! Fixed my problem right away. My first instinct was to delete the AVG folder but this is so much cleaner. Instead, of using a recovery disk, I just used my second partition, navigated to the AVG folder and renamed the folder. Worked like a charm, I'm wondering if earlier downloading msvcr80.dll did anything for me. I recommend a second partition for anyone without a DVD/CD rom drive.
December 2, 2010 05:13 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132889
shawnlau

Junior
musikluver2003 wrote
Thanks for all the helpful info on getting things fixed...Does anyone know how we find out when this problem is fixed to update? Will there be a forum post? An email sent to people registered to recieve update emails? Thanks!

lol. You're joking right?
December 2, 2010 05:15 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132895
Ironwood treefolk

Novice
Draco538 see Teckdragon's post, he or she posted very good info. Summary, rename the file folder AVG via AVG recovery disk.
December 2, 2010 05:42 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132933
edwwang

Novice
I too have problems starting windows after updating AVG.

I have AVG 2011 and recently updated the software. When it asked me to restart my computer, I could no longer get into Windows. I can only get to the logo and then a blue screen appears. After that, I get an error message saying "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

There were 2 options to choose from, 1) launch startup repair or 2) start windows normally. I tried the launch startup repair but it could not fix the problem. I have also tried starting from safe mode but everytime I do that it would start the recovery cycle. I don't want to reinstall my OS if I don't need to. It seems like lots of people are having similar problems so if anyone knows how to fix my problem, please let me know.

Any help would be great.
December 2, 2010 05:52 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132941
bpieke

Novice
Same thing here.

Booted in safe mode and went back to a restore point - before the AVG update.

Then able to boot normally.

I've now uninstalled AVG and am waiting for a resolution of this issue.
December 2, 2010 06:19 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132961
draco538

Novice
Ironwood treefolk wrote
Draco538 see Teckdragon's post, he or she posted very good info. Summary, rename the file folder AVG via AVG recovery disk.

I just tried that, but I still seem to be stuck in a loop. Booting from the USB drive that I'm using for it still results in getting the Windows Failed to Start message screen.
December 2, 2010 06:28 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #132969
Pulse21

Novice
Alternate Method!..

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NO RESTORE POINTS AND CAN'T USE THE AVG RECOVERY DISK

Thanks for the help Teckdragon!
This is perfect for idiots like me who don't create system restore points.

This can also be done from Command Prompt if anyone took the same direction I did.
My USB install of the Recovery Disk exploded as well, so this method worked just as well.

1) Try Windows Startup Repair (It tends to fail and not be able to repair on Vista)
2) Continue to the next menu regardless
3) Select Command Prompt (or System Restore if you have a point)
4) Navigate to the folder just before your AVG folder (By default for me it was C: Program Files (x86))
5) "ren [filename] [desired filename]" Eg. "ren AVG avgfail" or whatever you wish to rename the folder
6) Just check with 'dir' if it changed the name
7) Reboot

I'm just glad I didn't have to do a fresh install.

EDIT: This is already similar to daveoss' fix. Also for Vista users, you may need to find yourself your install disk. If you don't have it try daveoss' F8 during boot to bring up the command prompt.

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=132555
December 2, 2010 07:34 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #133009
Kodl

Administrator
Sorry to all, we are investigating and trying to find a solution that would work for all and would be as simple as possible.
Right now the update has been pulled down from servers so it does not happen again.
The posts by Teckdragon and Pulse21 are absolutely correct, it is necessary to remove/rename program files of the Resident Shield component. Renaming the whole AVG folder works, too
Sorry again, guys, we will keep you posted, working on this hard
December 2, 2010 10:19 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #133055
Kivorob

Novice
One of the networks under my management was affected today - 5 HP Z200 Workstations with Windows 7 64-bit factory-preinstalled, other running windows 7 32bit and XP. All running AVG 2010 Business Edition, fully licensed, sorry I didn't find the paid forum.

All 5 HP Z200 Win 7 64-bit were affected. The first 2 users rebooted as requested and got BSOD with c0000135 stop, others did not reboot, and I used their machines to fix the other 2 that died.

Other Windows 7 32-bit and XP machines were not affected.

I took 2 hard drives from the rebooted Z200 and plugged them in turn into SATA connectors of the DVD drive of one of the survived machine. In order to mount such "hot-plugged" SATA drive ran "Rescan Disks" in Disk Management. Once the attached drives appeared in Computer renamed the AVG folder into c**p, sorry couldn't think of any other name under duress.

Then returned the two drives back to the affected machines, started normally and did the same thing with other 3 drives.

Then on one of the restored computers renamed the folder back into AVG and tried to un-install. The Uninstraller simply hung. It showed in Task Manager, but did nothing for a long time. So uninstalling failed, and I renamed the folder back to c**p.

Thanks AVG for proper testing your product. I installed AVG business edition on 9-10 networks under my management, the license of the first expiring in a few days. Needless to say I am not renewing.

The client paid for my emergency visit. Why should they be out of pocket because of your negligence?

Network location: Ryde, Sydney, NSW, Australia
December 2, 2010 10:37 Re: Windows Will Not Start After AVG Update #133065
gregbrown39

Novice
Great..

Nice one AVG - I know this is the free version I was using but how can this happen???
Now my pc is in the repair shop and for $90 they may be able to fix things and do a total reinstall of windows!
Then I have to spend at least 10 hours straight to reinstall only part of the software I had on the system which was all highly customized and all!
Who do I see to get some compensation for that?
No one I suspect!
Not happy Jan! angry