Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode
November 24, 2010 23:30 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #129891
BIG AL 43

jbmusic wrote
Should this disqualify me from access to AVG Free?

If you can quite honestly say, hand on heart, that there's absolutely no financial gain from the system where AVG Free is being used then it's OK. On the other hand if there is then you should be using AVG Pro (paid for) version.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
November 24, 2010 23:44 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #129893
crashednburned

Novice
No. I am a college student so my "work" is all my reports, labs, homework and everything. Thankfully, I only had one class today as the others have been cancelled for the holidays or I don't know what I'd do. I have two reports due after the holidays that are on the computer. Finals are in two weeks and all my notes are on it so I have to get it up and running asap. My whole semester is on that computer. I'm borrowing my roommate's computer just to get to this forum.

I've been asking everyone and no one can get it to go to safe mode.
November 24, 2010 23:55 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #129897
crashednburned

Novice
All three of us here apparently have the same problem with F8. It will get us to the Windows Advanced Options page but no matter which option we click, it will not perform the action. Every time we get sent back to the beginning. It's a continuous loop with no way of getting out without turning off the power:

Turn power on - beginning screen - black screen with white blinking cursor -clicking F8 all along - Windows Advanced Options screen - click any safe mode or disable or normal start or whatever - Windows XP - BOOM! back to the beginning screen - black screen with white blinking cursor - clicking F8 all along - Windows Advanced Options screen - click any safe mode or disable or normal start or whatever - Windows XP - BOOM! back to the beginning screen - black screen with white....... repeat, repeat, repeat, until power is turned off.

November 25, 2010 03:35 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #129949
jbmusic

Novice
My problem is slightly different. After the initial blue screens, my PC automatically went to Advanced Options. No need to hit F8. And, I never tried to go into safe mode. I had an option to start Windows with "the last configuration that worked."

After that XP booted normally. But 20 secs. after it starts... an AVG dialog window pops up saying AVG must "restart the system" to complete the installation. There are two options; restart NOW or postpone and be reminded in 5 to 60 minutes. I have now restarted at least 15 times. Me thinks there's a serious bug in this program update.
November 25, 2010 08:54 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #129987
Anonymous user

Administrator
Hello all,

we are sorry for the trouble and inconvenience it may have caused to you.

Please proceed as described in How To Disable AVG When The Operating System Cannot Be Started Properly (see the EDIT information below; the procedure has been slightly modified) and try to boot your computer. Then, please provide us with (a few of) the most recently created files in the C:\Windows\Minidump\ folder. We will analyze them and let you know our findings.
You may also attach the msinfo output from your computer so we will have basic overview of your environment (to investigate possible software conflicts etc.):
- Press the Win + R keys simultaneously.
- Type msinfo32 into the opened window and click the OK button.
- Select File -> Save...
- Please compress the created file before uploading it.

--
EDIT by jirka 82:
According to more information from our developers, it should be sufficient to rename (using AVG Rescue CD as described above; there is no need to rename AVG drivers) these two files only and system will be able to boot again (AVG will not be fully functional):

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgrs*.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchsv*.exe

Please rename these files to something else (e.g. by changing their extension) and restart the computer (eject the AVG Rescue CD).

After the Windows system is started, additionally to the minidump files, please provide us with these AVG files as well:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgcore*.dll
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avglog*.dll
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgcert*.dll
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchjw*.dll
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchcl*.dll

(* stands for x or a letter; this depends on your operating system architecture - 32/64 bit)

- Make sure to compress all files to reduce their size.
- Let us know whether renaming the above mentioned two files (avgrs*.exe and avgchsv*.exe) was sufficient to make your operating system bootable again.
- Please do not hesitate to ask if there is something unclear in the provided instructions. We will try to describe the questionable part in more details.

According to developer's analysis, some of the AVG DLL files have been damaged and this have caused the issue. You may run the AVG repair installation then to make your AVG fully functional again.
--

Thank you for your cooperation.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
November 25, 2010 18:26 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #130127
crashednburned

Novice
The link you provided to disable AVG requires an AVG Recovery CD which we do not have because we all have the "Free" version. Would you please provide us with the steps to take without the CD. Thanks.

In order, these are the screens that come on when power to the computer is started:

1) the initial screen with the computer company logo
2) the black screen with the white blinking cursor
3) Windows XP which automatically brings up the initial screen again and the process begins again

November 25, 2010 18:41 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #130131
BIG AL 43

crashednburned wrote
The link you provided to disable AVG requires an AVG Recovery CD which we do not have because we all have the "Free" version

You actually create the AVG Rescue CD yourself http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=68967.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
November 28, 2010 21:28 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #131069
kginpaz

Novice
BSOD bad image problem..

I am having this same problem on my Dell Inspiron 6400- I closed down the computer while AVG was doing an update or scan and the next time I turned it on, I got the error message STOP: c000007b (Bad Image) The application or DLL\??\AVG\AVG10\avglogx.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
I tried rebooting repeatedly, using the F8 button to get safe mode, but even in safe mode it returns to the error msg and also does the same thing when I try "return to last known configuration" or whatever that choice is. This must be an AVG problem- please help!!! I hesitate to use the installation diskette until I know that is the only choice. AVG advisor- please help us!
November 29, 2010 13:30 Re: Urgent Help! AVG dll Blue Screened PC; Can't Access Safe Mode #131283
Anonymous user

Administrator
Hello Dekade, crashednburned, jbmusic and kginpaz,

you will be soon contacted by AVG techsupport for more information.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ