Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application
November 16, 2009 21:51 AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39259
kula_kay

Novice
Long time reader, first time poster!

I am trying to update AVG 8.5.425 to AVG 9 (both free edition) on my home computer. I have tried downloading the .exe file to install the new version direct from the AVG website and from download.com, and am having the same problem with both. Whenever I download the file, I have to right click on it and select unblock to allow me to access it (which is fine) but when I double click on it to start installation, it tells me that the file is not a valid win32 application.

Windows version - XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3 (32 bit)
AVG version and virus db version - 8.5.425 currently running. db 270.14.67/2506
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled - none
Other protection software installed - none (other than the windows firewall)
The exact error message you are getting - 'c:\documents and settings\user\desktop\avg.exe is not a valid Win32 application'

I have not uninstalled AVG 8.5.425 before trying to install AVG 9 as I didn't on my computer at work and that's all working fine.

HELP!
November 17, 2009 09:27 Re: AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39439
Will_33

AVG fan
Maybe you have corrupted file downloaded, and windows cannot recognize it.
Try to download from avg site:

http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free
November 17, 2009 21:04 Re: AVG Install Is Not Valid win32 Application #39727
kula_kay

Novice
Tried clicking the link to download again, but the same thing happened.

Have now managed to download it though...

Instead of using Firefox to get to the website, I tried IE. The same thing happened, again! But then (and I'm not sure how) I managed to download the AVG download manager from download.com as a torrent file. I was then able to unblock the file and open it! Then used the download manager to download and install AVG 9! innocent

Thanks for the ... help? Hope this post can help some other people!