Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Update » AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop
Page 1 of 10 1234››
December 2, 2010 01:31 AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132305
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
SpyderGurlTX

Junior
I received a message from AVG program that system needed to be rebooted in order to complete update on my laptop, which runs Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and also the same reboot message for system on my new laptop which runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Upon reboot, both my systems have crashed and a software / hardware windows error comes up. I can't even load in Safe Mode, as the machine just reboots itself. I also tried loading last good known configuration.

I'm not a computer expert by any means, but I know the update caused both my systems to crash. I was able to recover my laptop using system restore, but still have not been able to recover my desktop. I work from home, and I'm VERY upset as I now don't know if I'll be able to log in tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me if they are having the same issues? I've checked work IT department and they have not heard anyone having issues yet, but they have made note to look out for it.
December 2, 2010 01:39 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132309
BIG AL 43

I work from home.. I've checked work IT department

Just to clarify a point in passing.... I hope you are not using AVG Free on a system in conjunction with a business or for financial gain.... Just for your info this is the standard info. on the AVG Technologies website.... AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. Use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
December 2, 2010 01:48 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132327
brettsmith62

Novice
I am having the exact same problem. Laptop and desktop are both running Windows 7. The laptop has been restored but there is no restore point on the desktop.

Here is the error I get at the BSOD.

stop coooo135 the program can't start because %hs is missing
December 2, 2010 01:48 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132329
jraymiller

Novice
I had the same identical issue, but was able to do a System Restore and working fine now. I have disabled AVG from updating virus patterns or program updates. My installation is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and AVG 2011.
December 2, 2010 01:50 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132335
loribaker

Novice
You are not alone!!! This happened to my computer also. I was able to restore it to a restore point, but I will not update. I always supported AVG and recommended it highly. Not any more. It's the same as installing a virus instead of removing one!!! Removing it now - there are other free anti-virus software out there - they just won my support!!!

(MCT, MCSE, A+, MCP certified)
December 2, 2010 01:51 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132339
loribaker

Novice
Big Al -

Instead of being the AVG police, at this time when the software is causing so much damage - why not actually try to supportive and offer support - be the policeman later....... geeezzzzzzz
December 2, 2010 01:53 Re: AVG Update Tonight Crashed Both My Desktop And Laptop #132343
SpyderGurlTX

Junior
BIG AL 43 wrote
I work from home.. I've checked work IT department

Just to clarify a point in passing.... I hope you are not using AVG Free on a system in conjunction with a business or for financial gain.... Just for your info this is the standard info. on the AVG Technologies website.... AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. Use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ

I'm not using it for a business or financial gain, it's just the antivirus I use for my personal computer which I use to connect to another network that uses it's own systems and services. But thanks for the warning...
December 2, 2010 02:02 same thing #132347
yahar

Novice
Same thing is happening to me. I used sytem restore and then ran the update again and the same exact thing happened. Must be something with the update?

Im running windows 7 x64
December 2, 2010 02:05 Same Here #132353
nturner103

Novice
The same thing happend to me also on my home desktop. My laptop has AVG installed also...going to uninstall.
December 2, 2010 02:06 Happened to me as well #132361
KimJ721

Novice
Same thing here, also Windows 7 x64. A system restore did fix the problem. I will disable automatic updates for AVG, but I hope to be able to resolve this soon so I can re-enable it.
Page 1 of 10 1234››