Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program.
July 14, 2010 12:53 I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98037
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
suomynona

Novice
Winver
Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514 : Service Park 3)

I did a complete wipe of my computer. Wrote zeros because AVG 9x was no longer updating on my older computer -- after years of working just fine.

After 4 days of attempting to get Windows XP to patch to SP2 and then SP3, I finally accomplished that.

I have turned off the firewall on this XP SP3 machine and tried everything from installing in Safe Mode w/Networking to not doing it that way (of course, after using the removal tool). I have tried AVG Free 8.5, I have tried the latest 9x.

Either the full 9x gives me an immediate "File Corrupt" (even though the hash is correct), or I download the mini version and install and various different errors that it didn't install.

I do not have any viruses or spyware, as I have checked. Again, NO firewall. No anti-virus protection at all because nothing else will work either.

I don't know what else to do, and doing searches on Google for error messages when attempting to install AVG Free 9x is pointless because all I see is people replying with "removal tool" and turn off firewalls and "you can't have another anti-virus installed."

Does XP SP3 make it so I can't install any anti-virus? I have tried them all (and used removal tools) and NOTHING works. :crying: It's infuriating :disappointed:

Edit 1: I just thought of something that I haven't tried yet. I am doing this through a Linksys router -- is it possible that the router is blocking AVG from installing without some sort of error?

Edit 2: That doesn't make sense, because I wouldn't have been able to upgrade XP from a clean install to SP2 and SP3... right?
July 14, 2010 20:27 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98091
dusano123

Hello,

Please try to download full installation file on another computer:
http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free
Save it to USB drive, insert USB drive to your computer and install from there.

If the issue still persists check your hardrive and memory as described here:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=88743
Steps 3. 4.

Thank you
July 15, 2010 10:44 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98421
suomynona

Novice
I am already running AVG 9 on both my Vista laptop and (other) Vista desktop.

After another wipe of my system (zeros, disk check, etc.), I got this error.

Problem with setup!

The AVG DOwnload Manager has encountered a problem. Click Retry button to start the download process again, or Cancel to quit. If you continue to see this message, please consult the product help for further information.

Message: AVG DOwnload Manager: File Corrupted. (ErrorCode: 0xE001C065)

Again, this has nothing this is an issue with Windows XP. I am currently attempting to install on SP2, rather than SP3. Firewall is off.

Don't know what else to try. There's no solution to those with this problem in Google searches or (seemingly) on this forum.
July 15, 2010 10:51 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98423
suomynona

Novice
Previous error was on a clean system via the web installer. (avg_free_stb_all_9_115_cnet)

Here's the error on the full installer (avg_free_stf_en_90_839a2960)

Setup error
File package file open failed.
HRESULT 0x80004005

I'm not the only one with this problem -- which has no solution.

Example 1
Example 2

I'm going to pretend the installer is asking for the full .bin file here, and download that -- even though I am fairly certain that's not the solution.

Again template response doesn't fit.
"You have a virus, etc."
"You haven't removed previous virus protection completely, etc."
"There's something wrong with your computer, not AVG."

A clean install, after running zeros and tests on hardware -- and AVG will simply not install whether I have SP2 or SP3 installed on Windows XP with the Firewall turned off and no previous virus protection installed.

Current setup: Windows XP Professional SP2 on Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz, 1GB of RAM with no other software installed/downloaded.

:disappointed:
July 15, 2010 10:57 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98425
suomynona

Novice
Attempting to install again, using the full installer?

Extraction failed
File is corrupt

Good times.
July 15, 2010 11:53 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98455
suomynona

Novice
How I was able to get past multiple install error codes and get free AVG installed..

Here is how I got it to install.

I went to this folder and deleted everything. This is the folder that had previous install attempts located -- which is probably why I was getting the HRESULT 0x80004005 error.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp

(Of course, if you don't have yourself listed as Administrator, then substitute that portion of the address with your name, or whatever you login as. As previously mentioned by Support Volunteers, you will need to have Administrator privileges -- and if you don't login when you bootup, you won't be able to Run As Administrator -- so make those changes if you need to.)

I then did exactly what a previous Support Volunteer said to do (in another thread).

Standard and limited user accounts normally do not have the proper rights to make changes to Windows so always log into a Windows with a user account that has full administrator rights when installing any software including AVG....

To download and install AVG 9.0 Free Edition successfully, please take the following steps:

1. Please download the latest AVG Free installation file from our website
2. When you are prompted, please do not open this file directly from the Internet, but click the "Save" button and browse to the location where you want the installation file to be stored. We recommend saving the file to the Desktop.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Locate the downloaded AVG installation file (it has a four color square icon and its name starts with AVG_...) and launch the installation by double-clicking on it.
5. Follow the installation wizard.
6. If AVG asks you for a computer restart at the end of the installation, please do so.

When installing, I said no to any third party nonsense (toolbars) and only installed the anti-virus. (I unchecked everything else.)

It is currently running the first scan, and I'm assuming that it will then update without problems -- just like my AVG 9x does on my Vista machines.

Hopefully this helps someone else that comes across these error codes via a Google search.
July 15, 2010 11:57 Re: I Can't Install Any Anti-Virus Program. #98457
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi Suomynona,

EDIT: as you have answered in the meantime, please inform us about the actual situation after AVG scan and if is possible to use AVG installation file to add the rest of AVG components (LinkScanner, Email Scanner, etc.). Thank you

lets continue only with the downloaded full installation file named "avg_free_stf_en_90_839a2960.exe"...

1) Please check the hash (MD5) is the same - daef8f34287d6c7c30e42ad0a01740fa
- more information at this thread

2) Rename the AVG installation file to "avg_free_stf_en_90_839a2960.7z" and extract as 7z archive (more information) and run extracted "avgsetup.exe"

3) Please provide us with Gmer outputs and Event history

4) Open menu Start -> Run -> enter "%tmp%" and check that some files exists inside this folder and you can create some random file and folder inside (then you can delete them)

Thank you
***************AVG Team