Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Update » Update Failed: Disk Space
May 12, 2010 10:33 Update Failed: Disk Space #87271
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
setchells

Novice
Hi to all in the forum!

For the past 3 days my installation of AVG Free 9 has refused to update. The error message displayed is "Update failed. Not enough disk space to process update".

First, I cleaned up my system drive and increased my free space from around 65MiB to 450MiB. This extra space did not fix the error.
Secondly, I read messages in the forum and downloaded the latest AVG Free 9.xx installer and used it to repair my installation. Still not fixed.
Thirdly, I downloaded the available updates manually and performed a manual update from a folder. This update worked. When I later tried to perform an automatic update from the interface, the same error message resulted.

Can you suggest what might be amiss? (I am assuming that AVG Free 9/xx does not need 450MiB to apply updates!)

My system information:

Windows version: XP Pro Service Pack 3
AVG version and virus db version: 9.0.819 271.1.1/2869
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled: None (other than previous versions of AVG Free)
Other protection software installed: None
The exact error message you are getting: "Update failed. Not enough disk space to process update."

Firewall software installed: None
Internet connection type: Broadband - ADSL 2+ (approx 13Mbps)
Who is the provider of your Internet connection: Westnet Pty Ltd, Perth, Western Australia
"avgupd.log" (with WinZip archive) is attached.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Regards
SEtchells
May 12, 2010 15:34 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87329
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

could you please reinstall AVG Free completely at first? Then please make sure you have enough free space on your hard disk.

If the issue still persists, please provide us with Gmer outputs.

Thank you
***************AVG Team
May 12, 2010 17:28 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87365
setchells

Novice
I have discovered that my aging and slightly addled brain has misremembered installing XP Service pack 3 :embarrassed: . The disk space requirements for installation were too great so my system is currently updated to Service pack 2.

I followed your suggestions and uninstalled/re-installed AVG Free 9.xx from the file avg_free_stf_en_90_819a2842.exe. After the reinstallation, I cleaned up space on my system drive and then attempted an automatic update. Unfortunately, it failed with the same error message as before :disappointed: (over 300MiB free space before attempt).

I have attached the GMER files as requested.

Regards,
SEtchells
May 13, 2010 08:56 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87473
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi setchells,

you will be soon contacted by AVG techsupport for more information.

Thank you
***************AVG Team
May 13, 2010 17:31 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87565
shantijoe

Novice
Hi
I had a similar problem updating to AVG 9 which resulted in my PC starting to report 'disc space critical' errors. Programs just would not run.
It turned out that the download had let a Trojan (horse?) virus in which caused lots of problems.
AVG 9 did not work and would not uninstall.
I found the uninstaller program and managed it finally then ran a scan with a different virus program on a seperate partition. This worked but I haven't gone back to AVG.
Thanks for the good work until now AVG, :frowning:
joe
May 14, 2010 05:45 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87609
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi shantijoe,

Accept our apologies for these inconveniences.

Is possible to restore detected infections by the other anti-virus program and send them to us - address virus@avg.com - for closer analysis?

Thank you
***************AVG Team
May 14, 2010 05:50 Re: Update Failed: Disk Space #87613
setchells

Novice
Thank you to all for your help.

Happily, after a number of days, my AVG Free v9.0.819 installation has started working again. An automatic update was completed successfully at 5:00pm (9:00am GMT) today (13-May-2010) and I have just initiated a successful update from the interface.

I have made no changes to my system since I reinstalled AVG Free 9.0.819 last night (12-May-2010). Immediately after reinstallation, I tested updates from the interface and experienced the same low disk space problem. All I have done since is shut down my system and restart it after a period of sleep.

The strange thing is that my system drive has less free space now than when the problem first occurred (233MiB vs 450MiB).

Thank you again for your prompt consideration of the problem I was experiencing.

Regards,
setchells