The following procedure will create and display a status report for a hard disk.
1. Run the command line (as administrator).
2. Type chkdsk /f into the opened window and press ENTER.
3. Confirm scheduling the scan after restart by pressing Y and then ENTER.
4. Restart your computer.
5. Wait for the scan to be completed. The system will then be booted automatically.
Where to find the results of this scan?
The results are only displayed on the screen for a short time. If you need to review the results (e.g. for posting them on the forum), proceed as follows:
1. Press the Windows logo key+R.
2. Type eventvwr.msc into the opened window, and then click OK.
3. Select the Application event log (under Windows logs in Windows Vista/7).
4. Locate the recently logged Information event (source: Wininit, event ID: 1001) and view the result.