February 11, 2010 10:33 AVG For Apple MAC #63535
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
MikeBr100

Novice
Hi,

I already use AVG Pro on my Windows 7 PC and love it.

I've just bought an older MacBook (2007) which has OS X 10.6 (Leopard) as the oprtaing system

Does AVG work with Apple MacBooks and if so which version do I need. Couldn't find anything on the AVG site regarding Mac compatibility??

I'm completely new to Apple and has seen several forums which claim you don't need anti virus software with Macs but I find that very hard to believe!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

MikeBr100
February 11, 2010 12:51 Re: AVG For Apple MAC #63549
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

please be informed that Mac platform is not supported by current AVG versions.

Thanks
***************AVG Team
March 9, 2010 12:14 Re: AVG For Apple MAC #70611
AndrewKC

Novice
Hi Mike

You've probably resolved your question now but I thought i'd email you incase you hadn't. I, like you are a newbie to the world of Mac and heard the same comments about Mac's not needing protection. I wasn't convinced, so kept looking online and found that Apple themselves advise you to protect yourself even though there has been very few attacks, but like life these things can change.

Please visit the link below for a little more clarity, here's the first paragraph. Andrew

Macintosh security is a hotly debated subject for various reasons, including the scarcity of viruses. In fact, the number and severity of viruses is just a very small piece of the big picture. Those who really understand security know that a comprehensive security profile for the Mac is required to deal with threats via the Browser, port/firewall breaches, sensitive data protection, application sandboxing, defense against phishing, and identification of hostile IP addresses. Moreover, the optimum security profile changes with user location.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/norton_internet_security_4_a_comprehensive_suite/