July 15, 2009 19:59 False Positive? #5505
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
shadowayex

Novice
I just got a dell computer and it came with something called Dell DataSafe. I know nothing about this program besides that it backs stuff up. I've had my laptop for a day and AVG just popped up a message looking something like this:

Potentially Unwanted Program!

File name: C:\Program Files\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\hstart.exe

Threat Name: Potentially harmful program HideExec.FF
Detected on open

As far as I know DataSafe is fine, but I wanted to ask before I added it to exceptions. Did something get into DataSafe and mess it up or is this just a false positive?
July 15, 2009 20:13 Re: False Positive? #5519
BIG AL 43

Moved to the proper forum area for this type of posting.. Virus Removal, Tools for Removing.

Please pay attention to where you are posting in the future and make sure that it fits with the subject of the forum area you are posting in. This allows us to keep the forum better organized so users can find related issues.

If you ever cannot find a post you have made, use the Forum Search and search by your user nickname.

Please follow these instructions What to do if you suspect a detection is a false positive.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

July 15, 2009 20:28 Re: False Positive? #5525
shadowayex

Novice
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to report it, but Vista will not allow me to archive the file in question, or any other file in that folder. I sent them an email anyway, letting them know information about the file in question, but I fear that won't be enough for them to identify the problem. Is there anything else I can do? I do not have permissions to upload it to either of the sites provided in the post you provided either.
July 15, 2009 20:35 Re: False Positive? #5527
BIG AL 43

Have you followed all the instructions in the link eg. Resident Shield.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

July 15, 2009 20:48 Re: False Positive? #5531
shadowayex

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
Have you followed all the instructions in the link eg. Resident Shield.

Alan

Ah ha. Sorry I've made so many mistakes. I'm kind of panicing because this compute cost me $1100 >_<.

In the first scan, 1 of 21 pegged it as bad, and that was AVG with the same conclusion (HideExec.FF). And the second one (virustotal) 1 of 38, again AVG with the same result.

I still cannot archive the file, but it's looking more like a false positive anyways. Would it be safe to add it to exceptions yet?
July 15, 2009 21:03 Re: False Positive? #5535
BIG AL 43

What about FAQ 2159?

Alan

July 15, 2009 21:56 Re: False Positive? #5537
rdsok

AVG Technologies has to have the exact file that you are claiming is a false or they can't make a correction. So you have to report it or the issue won't get corrected. There are also instructions on how to make an archive... if you read them.

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

July 15, 2009 21:58 Re: False Positive? #5539
shadowayex

Novice
It wouldn't let me add it to a RAR file. I finally got it to let me add it to a Zip file using a different program. It's sent to them and hopefully this clears up. Thank you for your time.