Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Minimizing Problem
November 11, 2009 16:53 Same #36041
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
MOHAA Gamer

Novice
Same issue here. I play Medal of Honor in fullscreen, and every half hour it minimizes to my desktop
I have AVG 8.5 and upgraded to v9 two days ago, and that is exactly when my game issues started. I had gaming mode enabled, but also disabled gaming mode, restarted my pc and still had the same issue.

Also, if it is at all significant, I use Windows XP with sp3.
November 11, 2009 17:26 Wow #36059
RealDeal1

Novice
OMG I'm having th same issue! After upgrading the screen would minimize about every hour. I thought is was the game update but it started happening right after the upgrade to 9.0. Not good.
November 11, 2009 17:50 Games Minimize #36081
GoingBald

Novice
I also updated from 8.5 to the new version as requested by the onscreen popup. I play Freelancer and about every 20 to 30 mins the game moves to the taskbar. I have not seen the cause, but this only started happening after the update. I will check back for any response to all these posts. I use Win XP SP3 , windows firewall, no special add-ons, and 2 gig ram. This issue did not happen with 8.5.
Thanks
GoingBald
November 11, 2009 18:13 Re: Also Being Minimized #36097
Ponder09

Novice
ondraploteny wrote
Hi,
my first question, did you upgrade from AVG 8.5 or was it clean AVG9 installation? Is this situation reproducible 4 times in row?

I am in contact with developers about this situation.

Thank you for your answers
***************AVG Team

Same problem with games minimizing on two different computers. Upgraded from AVG8.5 to AVG9 on both systems.
Both running Windows Vista w/sp 2. Both Intel Core2 Quad.
I've turned off all scheduled updates/task in AVG on both, still happens about every 30 minutes or so. Just started a few days ago on both systems. Only change to either system has been updating to AVG9. Happens when playing Sims 3 on my system and when playing WoW on my husbands system. And yes, it has happened repeatedly ( more than 4 times) on both.
November 11, 2009 18:15 Re: Games Minimize #36101
theashigaru

Novice
Same here. Updated from 8.5 and fullscreen games now minimize every so often. It doesn't seem to happen with Windows Media Center though. I watched a movie last night without interruption. But I have had issues with both Company of Heroes and Battlefield 2. In the case of battlefield 2, it causes a CTD after minimizing which makes it especially annoying.

Does anyone know if simply closing AVG before starting a game will keep this from happening? I don't like to run without virus protection, but the probability of picking up something while playing a game is pretty low, I think.

I've never had any trouble with AVG before, so I hope you get a fix soon!
Thanks
November 11, 2009 19:44 Same Here #36151
LameForumName

Junior
I have been running (free) AVG 9 for a while now without issues. Now after the Nov 10 update when AVG requested to reboot after the update, I am having the same problem as everyone else. Minimizes every 30mins to desktop in the middle of a full screen game or movie, even if I just have a web browsing window open, it happens every 30mins whatever I do.

I am Using Windows XP. I don’t think I need to tell you how annoying this is…Please address this soon.

I am going to try disabling Resident Shield (as suggested elsewhere) to see if this stops this from occurring in the short term…hoping not to have to switch Anti-virus software again, I was just starting to like your product and considering a purchase of it with all the bells and whistles…please don’t disappoint
undecided
November 11, 2009 21:49 Re: Same Here #36243
Geeza1

Novice
LameForumName wrote
I have been running (free) AVG 9 for a while now without issues. Now after the Nov 10 update when AVG requested to reboot after the update, I am having the same problem as everyone else. Minimizes every 30mins to desktop in the middle of a full screen game or movie, even if I just have a web browsing window open, it happens every 30mins whatever I do.

I am Using Windows XP. I don’t think I need to tell you how annoying this is…Please address this soon.

I am going to try disabling Resident Shield (as suggested elsewhere) to see if this stops this from occurring in the short term…hoping not to have to switch Anti-virus software again, I was just starting to like your product and considering a purchase of it with all the bells and whistles…please don’t disappoint
undecided

I had the same problem when I upgraded from avg 8.5. Looks like the upgrade doesn't completely remove the old version. I've resolved it by doing the following... I downloaded AVG 9.0 to my desktop from the following location

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2129071/avg-antivirus-free-edition

Then uninstalled AVG 9.0 completely (Start/Programs/AVGfree9.0/ uninstall) including user settings etc. Then did a fresh install from the icon on my desktop. I also let it update itself and do an optimize scan and I did a full scan as well.
It seems to have worked so far - no probs & footy manager doesn't minimize in the middle of a match - annoying!! wink
November 11, 2009 23:27 Likewise #36307
AotrsCommander

Novice
I can confirm the problem further. It started late (UK time) yesterday; at first I thought it was Dragon Age, then it did it to me this morning on a full-screen video. (Prompting me to spend a good couple fo hours chasing through umpteen spyware programs and bogging up Dragon Age 'cos I deleted a cookie, not that I'm bitter or anything!)

With the information in this thread, I timed the gap, and it is indeed 30 minutes. I did a reinstall, but that didn't seem to help; I'm going to try again though, as I'm not sure I took out all the user settings.
November 11, 2009 23:58 So??? #36321
Prozerpina

Novice
OK! Can, at least, someone get here and say: "Sorry guys! We are working on the problem!"
This is at least the second topic. I know that this is the FREE version, but at least show a little concern frowning
November 12, 2009 00:02 Re: So??? #36325
BIG AL 43

Just to make sure that you are fully aware this forum is only manned by other AVG Free users... we don't work for AVG Technologies. All moderators of this forum are volunteers and contribute their time freely. The forum is monitored by the AVG Team so your comments will probably be noted & they may post but unfortunately there is no direct contact for users.... i.e. AVG Technologies don't provide direct tech support for AVG Free. However this is available with the Pro either Trial or Paid for version.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan