Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.0 Free Edition » I need to know how to turn off AVG Free temporarily
March 31, 2009 16:47 I need to know how to turn off AVG Free temporarily #347
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
jonath

Senior

I have contacted EA and they have determined through many back and forth messages that the reason I am having problems playing their online games is due to my virus scanner. I need to know how to turn it off while I play and then turn it back on after.

I have AVG Free on Windows XP and I use Mozilla V1.07.

I also have AD Aware SE and Windows Defender.

I've tried looking for a way to turn it off but I'm not that bright (computer wise). Any help would be much appreciated.
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: I need to know how to turn off AVG Free temporarily #349
trave

Senior

I know many users that don't have to turn off the protection just to play a game... which sounds foolish if you ask me... I'd much rather keep my system protected than expose it just for a little fun.

First let me point out that this isn't recommended nor needed usually anymore, no matter what the software says. I've installed everything from common programs to system drivers without any trouble while still running AVG. The "diable your AV software" is a carry-over from the old days where they would commonly interrupt an install thinking it was suspicious, this has never happened to me once with AVG.

To disable it though.. open the Control Center, double click the Resident Shield and remove the checkmark next to the Turn on AVG Resident Shield. Don't forget to re-activate it when you are done.
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: I need to know how to turn off AVG Free temporarily #351
jennie

Senior

Randy thumbs up
It is real nonsense to disable the anti-virus to be able to play online games - AVG does not interfere in any Internet communication.

Firewall application could affect the Internet communication AND playing online games, but AVG Free does not have it.
June 20, 2009 21:55 Re: I need to know how to turn off AVG Free temporarily #811
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
if you really want to disable AVG temporary, please read Free FAQ 1311 - How to disable AVG Free temporarily
http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1311
Thanks