Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool
Page 1 of 2 12››
November 8, 2009 21:40 Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #34183
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Hosehound

Novice
I'm running XP. I do not have any other antivirus or spyware programs running besides Windows Defender. After trying system restore a few times (tried because I updated to AVG 9.0 and wasn't working correctly since I didn't uninstall 8.5 first I guess), and then being unable to uninstall via standard uninstall program (get error code saying can't uninstall), I read through the forum and decided to download the AVG Removal Tool. However, after I download the tool I get an error that comes up and says that it is not a valid Windows 32 application etc. I also got this message when I tried redownloading and AVG 9.0 after completing a system restore. At the moment my computer is unprotected and seems to be running slower since the Windows Firewall and the AVG one may be interfering with eachother. I would really appreciate it if you could help me uninstall 8.5 FREE, and then install 9.0 FREE. Thanks in advance.
November 9, 2009 08:17 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #34307
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

I would like to ask you to run these commands (menu Start -> Run):

regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgoff2k.dll"

And check the download issue again.

If still not possible, please remove AVG folder "C:\Program Files(x86)\AVG" and restart computer. Check the situation again.

Then please download AVG remover and follow the steps from this thread - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=791

Please inform us if the commands help you to solve the download issue.

Thank you
***************AVG Team
November 9, 2009 11:58 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #34385
Hosehound

Novice
Thanks for helping me out. I tried running the commands and it says the module failed to load for both. Do I keep the quotation marks at the end of the command in or not? Either way, I tried both ways and it says the same thing both times. When I go to delete the AVG folder it says I need permission to delete the folder and it had a "Try Again" button. However, it will not let me delete the folder. Hopefully we can get this fixed. Thanks.
November 10, 2009 08:53 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #34967
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

Does the folder "C:\Program Files(x86)\AVG" exists on your computer?

In that case use these commands:
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files(x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files(x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgoff2k.dll"

Else please try to find mentioned file "avgoff2k.dll", remove it and restart computer.

Other solution is to download AVG Remover on other computer and transfer by email or on flash card. And use it for completely remove AVG. Please follow showed information after running mentioned utility.

Thanks

EDIT: Please use these commands:
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"
regsvr32.exe /u "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgoff2k.dll"

EDIT2: Please delete/rename this file:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG8\avgoff2k.dll"

***************AVG Team
February 22, 2010 10:47 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66049
btpoh

Novice
How To Remove AVG Completely?..

i am trying to uninstall AVG. but it turn out that something is still running in my laptop which prevent me from installing another antivirus. what can i do so that i can install another antivirus? i tried uninstalling and deleting files related to AVG. but nothing works.
February 22, 2010 11:00 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66055
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

have you checked our pointed AVG removal procedure? - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=44013#post_44013

Thanks
***************AVG Team
February 24, 2010 05:09 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66633
Ivanho4

Novice
A Stubborn AVG 8.5 (Free Version) Won't Let Me Remove It..

I've tried everything to get rid of the AVG software to no avail. I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a 320g HD and 4g memory system. I tried to update to the free version of 9.0 and that's when the problems started. I'm still seeing AVG icons in my system try and task bar. When I attempt to do an Uninstall, I get a message that says "Installation Failure." Huh? Any advice from someone who can steer me in the right direction would be appreciated. I've had too many issues with this anti-virus freeware. Help. Email me at <email_address_removed>
Many thanks!!
February 24, 2010 06:42 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66651
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

could you please provide us with detailed description what have you done and what has been showed as errors to you?

- installation error messages (whole error)
- have you used System Restore -> now is not possible to download files?
- upload "avgremover.log" to some online storage for closer analysis (created in the same folder as AVG remover utility was run)

Thank you
***************AVG Team
February 24, 2010 15:24 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66767
Ivanho4

Novice
First, I noticed an X through the shield symbol at the bottom of my screen. It showed everything was working except the Anti-Virus. I had been getting reminders to upgrade from 8.5 to 9.0. Nothing has worked....so I decided to remove AVG entirely. When the uninstall didn't work, I went into program listings and tried to manually remove various files. They keep reappearing. I've done system restore to several days before to trying to correct the same day. I tried to use your extractor program last night and it failed to work. I am not an IT type, so I'm leery of jumping into directories, etc. I wanted to keep the free version since I am unemployed and really can't afford expensive upgrades. I cannot install anything else, including your 9.0 without completely removing what's there already. The installs simply won't work. :confused:
February 25, 2010 00:34 Re: Unable to Uninstall 8.5/Download AVG Removal Tool #66915
dusano123

Hello,

Please download AVG remover:
http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arm_sup_____.dir/avgremover.exe
http://download.avg.com/filedir/util/avg_arv_sup_____.dir/avgremoverx64.exe (64bit version)
and run it.

avgremover.log file will be created in the same folder.

Please upload it to some online storage service and provide us with a link.

Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12››