Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Update » The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted
November 1, 2009 02:30 The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29819
KENDUSKI

Novice
"the update could not be completed because the installation is corrupted" is the warning i get when i try to update. does this mean a virus ruined the update on avg or it just for some other reason messed up. now, how do i fix it. do i reinstall the software, and if so, how do you suggest i would do that. please advise. i like avg and now i do not know how to fix this update issue. kenduski.
November 1, 2009 02:44 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29823
rdsok

Moved to the proper forum area for this type of posting..

Please pay attention to where you are posting in the future and make sure that it fits with the subject of the forum area you are posting in. This allows us to keep the forum better organized so users can find related issues.

If you every can not find a post you have made, use the Forum Search and search by your user nickname.

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

November 1, 2009 02:55 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29827
KENDUSKI

Novice
computer is asus motherboard and athalon chip running xp sp3. was using the previous version avg8.5 and got message to update so i did. after it finished successfully i ran a full scan and it said everything is fine. now running online norton scan and it has found one threat. wont know what until it is finished its scan. when i tried to do a avg update i got the message in my first post. kenduski.
November 1, 2009 03:04 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29831
rdsok

Please actually read the post you were directed to and provide the information that is plainly listed in it

November 1, 2009 04:21 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29847
KENDUSKI

Novice
Windows version (2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc...): WINDOWS XP SP3
AVG version and virus db version (found in the lower left hand corner of the AVG windows) :9.0.1 WITH DATABASE 270.14.40/2471
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled (if any): NONE
Other protection software installed; NONE
The exact error message you are getting (if any): THE UPDATE HAS NOT BEEN FINISHED BECAUSE THE INSTALLATION IS CORRUPTED
Update problems
Firewall software installed: NONE EXCEPT A ROUTER WHICH WAS NEVER AN ISSUE BEFORE
Internet connection type (dial-up, proxy or broadband info): BROADBAND
Who is the provider of your Internet connection (your ISP): SHAW CABLESYSTEMS

I had read the place i was directed to and was under the impression from it the info needed was only what was pertinent to the issue. i have now cut and pasted from that site and filled in all the info. hopefully this will now be sufficient. kenduski.
November 1, 2009 05:33 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29863
rdsok

Check for system corruption ...

First let's start by cleaning up all temporary files and check for registry issues. I prefer a util called CCleaner found at http://www.ccleaner.com which does an even better job than the Windows Disk Cleanup and it also can check for registry issues. When checking for registry issues, run it about 3-4 times until it lists no other issues.

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select both options. It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive. This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.

Follow up all of that with a full Defrag to ensure the best performance you can of the system.

If the problem persists... follow the instructions in this post http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=24401 ... please make certain you are using the full install file and not the download manager

November 1, 2009 06:00 Re: The Update Could Not Be Completed... Installation Is Corrupted #29869
KENDUSKI

Novice
thanks for the help. i downloaded cccleaner and will run it as well. i tried the norton scan.. it finished and found ADWARE.ZangoSearch and ADWARE.GEN in 5 files which i deleted. checked for the program it installs and not found so i guess it never got that far. found none of the HKEY entries norton says should be there either. after deleting the files infected, i reinstalled the avg choosing the repair option on the menu, after it finished i tried the update utility of the program and it now works fine. thanks muchly for your help and quick responses, they were of good assistance to me. kenduskismile