Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » w32/koobface.worm.gen.f
July 1, 2009 14:15 w32/koobface.worm.gen.f #2853
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Rinnie

Novice
I run AVG 8.5 Free at my home office. I network with a business client that uses McAfee, and the PC that I connect (via RDC and shared iMap and VNC connections) to at that client showed McAfee had detected w32/koobface.worm.gen.f. Concerned, I checked the AVG database, but w32/koobface.worm.gen.f isn't listed at all under the w32 viruses or worms.

What can I do using AVG Free to detect w32/koobface.worm.gen.f on my home office PC?

Thanks,
Rinnie
July 1, 2009 16:30 Re: w32/koobface.worm.gen.f #2869
BIG AL 43

OK Rinnie, 1st things 1st.... Quotes "I run AVG 8.5 Free at my home office.. I network with a business client".... Just to clarify a point before proceeding.... I hope you are not using AVG Free in conjunction with a business.... Just for your info this is the standard info. on the AVG Technologies website.... AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. Use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan
July 1, 2009 16:40 Re: w32/koobface.worm.gen.f #2873
rdsok

Please pay attention to the forum area you are posting in so that your subject fits that forum area. Moved to the Virus forum area.

Different antivirus/antispyware companies use different names for the malware they detect so you can't always assume the name used by one company is the same name used by another company. This issue ( the different naming methods ) has existed since the beginning and the various efforts within the industry to resolve them haven't worked up to this point in time. When new malware or variations of existing malware are detected, each company must quickly react in order to protect their clients against them, there simply isn't enough time for a committee to agree on and then assign a common name for all to use.

There is however a cross-index of malware names available at Virus Bulletin called VGrep found at http://www.virusbtn.com/resources/vgrep/index where you can look many ( because there are millions of malwares in existance and growing daily, it is far from complete ) of the names used and see what other companies are calling that particular malware. To access that cross-index you must sign up for a free account.

In the event that you do find a malware that AVG doesn't detect... see the post that I've linked to below for instructions on testing it and reporting it to AVG.

==========================================================

Quick Reference Links

What information should I include?

Forum Rules

AVG 8.5.x Free FAQ's

AVG 8.5.x User Manual ( requires Adobe Reader )

How To Clean An Infected Computer

What to do if you suspect a file, registry setting or website is infected and not currently detected by AVG

What to do if you suspect a detection is a false positive

==========================================================

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167
March 1, 2010 16:37 Koobface #67887
Infected10

Novice
Hello,

I am a commercial AVG home user. I bought the anti-virus software in response to getting the Koobface worm. I cannot go to any page that has anything to do with anti-virus or anti-malware as it redirects me or interrupts the connection. The AVG Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Link Scanner databases are outdated and were outdated from the start. I tried to download updates but it says that the update control file is missing.

I have tried scanning my computer online with a trusted anti-virus company by using a web proxy which seems to bypass the worm's redirection and blocking mechanism. But I that doesn't work either since there is no javascript facility on the proxy.

Could you please advise me on any other solutions?

Thank you!
March 1, 2010 20:44 Re: Koobface #67955
BIG AL 43

@ Infected10

The forum is only for AVG Free Edition... the help is only from other AVG Free users. Any questions concerning the Pro either Trial or Paid for version must be directed at AVG's Tech or Sales support, who have enough tools to help you with this situation, on the main website http://www.avg.com/ww-en/support-existing.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan