Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2014 » AVG 2014 » Internet and Network » How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox
December 20, 2013 18:51 How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox #238048
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
excaliru

Novice
Every time I open a new tab in Firefox I get a screen with an AVG Secure Search box on it and I cannot figure out any way to remove this. I have tried everything I can find. There is an option that claims if I uncheck it the box that this will disable AVG Secure Search from new tabs, but it most certainly does not. No matter how many times I uncheck it and restart Firefox it comes right back, strong as ever.

I have tried:
1. Uninstalling AVG completely from my computer.
2. Resetting Firefox to default settings.
3. Going through every add-on, etc. to find and disable this.

Nothing works. AVG is no longer installed on my computer, but every time I open on a new tab... there it is AVG secure search powered by Yahoo! Yippee! This thing is as pervasive as any virus I have ever encountered.

Does anyone have suggestions beyond what I have already tried to get rid of this nuisance?? Thanks,

December 20, 2013 21:05 Re: How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox #238054
BIG AL 43

@ excaliru

This is the standard AVG Team article.. Have a look thro' this 'How-To' link How To Disable AVG Secure Search Provider In Browsers.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 20, 2013 23:07 Re: How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox #238056
excaliru

Novice
Big Al,

Thanks for the response. I followed the instructions in that thread and unfortunately they did not resolve the issue.

What did finally work for me was in the "about:config" area searching for "avg" and updating the avg.UserPreferences.newtabDisabledByUser property to "true." That seems to have finally fixed my issue. I recommend adding that additional step to your instructions in the other thread for Firefox.

December 20, 2013 23:22 Re: How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox #238057
BIG AL 43

OK excaliru, No probs.. Pleased to see that you appear to be now sorted. Thanks for returning to the forum & posting. No doubt the AVG Team will see your posting.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
January 6, 2014 14:49 Re: How To Get Rid Of AVG Secure Search From New Tabs In Firefox #238658
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello excaliru,

Did you use uninstall button from AVG Toolbar?

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support