Folder AVG Forums » AVG 2014 » AVG 2014 » [SOLVED] 2014 Causes Computer To Hang On Restart
September 23, 2013 06:58 [SOLVED] 2014 Causes Computer To Hang On Restart #234062
Climbtheplanet

Novice
Today the 2014 update installed for the AVG free version and after I did a backup to an external hard drive it would not eject. Nothing that I could do would make it eject so I had to just unplug it. Then during the system restart my system hangs on the black screen after the windows logo and before I can click on a user. Doing a safe mode boot hangs on avgidsha.sys AND my hard drive is not reading on another computer so the AVG has apparently crashed my computer and my backup!!!!

I have found threads that talk about a recovery cd but they also say it is an old problem and not relevant anymore so I don't know what to do. I was trying to back up very important data and now AVG has robbed me of both my computer and its hard drive and my backup! Please help!

I'm running a Sony viao with 4gb ram and windows 7 64 bit.
Other software is Malwarebytes
My external is a 1 tb Iomega ego.

Edit.. Please refrain from carrying out multiple postings.. http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=234061#post_234061.
image.jpg
September 23, 2013 07:27 Re: 2014 Causes Computer To Hang On Restart #234063
Climbtheplanet

Novice
Update.. Here is a happy update.

After submitting the above account of my problem I was on my phone doing more research and my computer which had been sitting on that safe mode screen (pictured in the above post) went black and decided to try and restart in normal mode. How or why it did it I don't know, but it hung on the black screen between between the windows icon and the users again as before. Previously the computer had hung on that screen indefinitely but this time I got a "working" circle and a mouse pointer after about 30 seconds. A minute or so later it booted to the users and I was able to click to go to the desktop. My desktop loaded very slowly over a couple minutes but I was able to get to the control panel and uninstall AVG. I used the opportunity to get my important docs onto a flash drive just in case and restarted again.

This restart went normally and the computer booted up as quickly as ever. I plugged in my external hard drive and the computer read it like normal this time and all my data was intact.

So, although I don't know how or why laptop was able to restart to the desktop, it did and I was able to get everything back to working order.

For the moderators, just know that for at least one user the 2014 update is dredging up old problems you have seen with the program in the past and I doubt my issue was an isolated incident.

Thanks.