Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » [SOLVED] AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies
June 4, 2012 11:49 [SOLVED] AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #206201
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Lebeda

Novice
I've always felt that 'tracking cookies' are an infringement of one's personal I'net privacy. That's my personal view, but realistically,how is it different than attaching a tracking device to your car in order to track your movements?. I suspect that most folk wouldn't like it. That's why i feel that AVG's 'Do Not Track' function is a good addition to the security that AVG provides. However, having used the 'block all' setting,i've just run a scan using 'Super Antispyware's' free edition & found 9 instances of
Invitemedia's tracking cookie.
My question - Do AVG intend to up-date the 'Do Not Track' cookie listings every now & again to include additional ones?.
June 5, 2012 09:50 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #206463
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello Lebeda,

Let us inform you that the Invitemedia is currently not on the blocked list. We have passed this information to our developers and will keep you informed in this thread.

Thank you.

KW: 90911

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support

June 5, 2012 11:57 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #206519
Lebeda

Novice
Do Not Track cookie list up-dates..

Hi malchys - I know that 'Invitemedia' isn't currently on the Do Not Track cookie list, hence my question at the end of my post. Many thanks for taking note of my question & for your action.
One more question - Why is a title 'required'when i'm replying to an already posted thread with a title ?. Surely the title of the thread is the default title of any post within it ?.
Maybe as a 'newbie' on here, i'm missing something - no change there then !!.
June 5, 2012 12:10 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #206523
BIG AL 43

Lebeda wrote
One more question - Why is a title 'required' when i'm replying to an already posted thread with a title ?.Surely the title of the thread is the default title of any post within it ?

Just click on 'Quick Reply' & the thread title is auto posted.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
June 15, 2012 09:26 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #208701
Lebeda

Novice
Many thanks BIG AL - I thought that i was missing something.I hope this post is ok.
Most recent scan with Super Anti-Spyware - 4 instances of ''Adware Tracking Cookie'' ..
I hope that the AVG guys & gals are onto these cookies that keep cropping up. I wonder just how many of them there are ??.Regardless of the 'missed ones',it's still a great feature (in my opinion),to have,but let's hope that the up-dates are sooner rather than later,
Saska
July 12, 2012 12:35 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #212210
Lebeda

Novice
Well, the 'Adware' tracking cookies are still not blocked, & neither are the 'Virgin Media' tracking cookies. I ran Super Anti-Spyware again this morning & found 14 tracking cookies that AVG 2012 didn't pick up on.
I know that there must be droves of the darned things out there, but if AVG is going to have a 'Do Not Track Function' at all, it's useless if it's not frequently up-dated.
If the guys at AVG don't do it, then give us the ability to do it for ourselves in the same way that we up-date our Anti-Virus database.
Maybe that's a function that could be added to the next version of AVG??, wink

July 12, 2012 15:06 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #212228
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello Lebeda,

Thanks for your comments we have passed it all to our developers for consideration. We will keep you informed in this thread.

Please let us inform you that tracking cookies can be also detected by the AVG Resident Shield and Tests. More information can be found here.

Thank you.

AVG Team

July 14, 2012 10:33 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #212377
Lebeda

Novice
Another scan revealed a new tracking cookie "adfarm" & also one presumably from the site of an I'net radio station that i use "181.FM".
Many thanks malchys for keeping an eye open on this. The problem of tracking cookies is obviously a pretty big one. Is there any reason why the detection & deletion of these cookies couldn't be done by us AVG users, as part of an AVG up-date?. The tracking cookies that we experience are very individualistic, according to the websites that we visit. Instead of AVG trying to swat the whole darned lot, why not allow us as individual users to detect & delete the cookies that WE experience. We would of course require access to a 'deletion tool' owned by AVG for our use, but as we use it, the database for cookies could be automatically up-dated - or am i being naive?,
Ivan
July 25, 2012 10:58 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #213263
_malchys_

Administrator
Hello Lebeda,

Thanks for another set of tracking cookies. We have passed it to our developers for consideration.

We invite you to submit suggestions for product improvements (undetected tracking cookies, feature requests, etc.) at the http://www.avg.com/product-feedback web form.

You may also use the AVG PC TuneUp utility to cleanup your computer. Tracking cookies are also part of the cleanup.

Thank you.

AVG Team

September 24, 2012 10:02 Re: AVG 'Do-Not-Track' Still Permits 'Invitemedia' Tracking Cookies #217005
Lebeda

Novice
Well, the 'Do Not Track' problem seems to have sorted itself out - the 'Do Not Track' icon has somehow gone from my PC home screen. Not deliberately removed, i can assure you. As for un-installing & re-installing AVG 2012 to reinstate the DNT icon, i'll pass. DNT was so far behind the number of cookies that needed to be blocked, it was hardly effective. That is in no way meant as a derogatory remark to the AVG guys & gals who work so hard to 'keep things safe' for us.
My main ammo. against tracking cookies is still Super Anti-Spyware, which seems to find more nasties than any other Anti Spyware software that i have on my PC - 14 more found this morning since being 'spotless' yesterday. All i've looked at this morning is a music chat room that i'm a member of, & my e-mails. So where these things come from, i'm at a loss to guess !!!.
Many thanks once more malchys - i just might have a look at the 'product feedback' section. I still feel that a DIY cookie blocking facility within AVG would be brilliant. Whichever anti-spyware systems find them, they could be flagged up to AVG for inclusion in their DNT database,
Lebeda