May 11, 2012 21:21 Unable To Repair #201841
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
blank_

Novice
Hi, I recently noticed that my AVG Free 2012 constantly asked me to update it. I followed what it said in the forums, but could not find the specified file. It told me to remove "updatecomps.cfg" and rename one other file to "updatecomps.cfg". However, I could not find that file in the directory. I can view all hidden files and folders, but can not locate this file.

So, I then decided to open up AVG through the tray icon, and it said my anti-virus was turned off. I clicked "fix all" on the top banner and got the following message:

Could not finish automatic sate repair. We weren't able to fix one or more components.

I then tried to uninstall AVG so that I could reinstall it, but it wouldn't let me do that either. I used the "Uninstall of change a program" tool to try and remove AVG, but got the following message:

The install has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2318.

Severity: Error
Error code: 0xC0070643
Error message: General internal error.
Additional message: The removal of the product failed.
The install has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 2318.
Context: Uninstallation of AVG, MSI action failed

I then tried to go into Safe mode to see if I could uninstall from there, but windows loader froze when loading the avg drivers.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.
May 13, 2012 09:41 Re: Unable To Repair #201969
will_h

Hi blank_,

please follow carefully the Uninstall / reinstall instructions.

if the issue still persists, please provide us with MSinfo output and installation log files.

Thank you

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
May 14, 2012 04:30 Re: Unable To Repair #202053
blank_

Novice
Hi Will,
Thanks for the reply.
I tried running the uninstall tool and it popped open a black window (similar to the command prompt) and closed instantly. I presume it failed, because AVG is still running on my system :P

I have attached the mfa and msi logs, along with the info output.
May 14, 2012 04:40 Re: Unable To Repair #202057
blank_

Novice
Sorry, please disregard the previous post. It turns out I was using the incorrect version (32bit) of the uninstall tool. Using the 64bit version, I was successfully able to remove the software. However, upon restarting Windows, I received a popup warning me that the uninstall executable file was corrupt.

Is this just a bug with Windows?

Either way, Thank you and sorry for the troubles :embarrassed:

Bye.
May 14, 2012 10:46 Re: Unable To Repair #202115
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello blank_,

However, upon restarting Windows, I received a popup warning me that the uninstall executable file was corrupt.

Is this just a bug with Windows?

Yes, you can ignore that message.

Thank you

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support