Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Network Protection » AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp
Page 1 of 2 12››
April 29, 2012 16:33 AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #199667
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
wfmetcalf

Novice
Hi everyone!

I have paid Internet Security 2012.

When the Internet Security firewall is engaged, Intel(R) WiDi application running on my Windows 7 laptop cannot make a connection with the Netgear PTV2000 wireless TV adapter. A "could not obtain network address" error message is displayed on the TV to which the Netgear is connected. If I disable the AVG firewall and activate the Windows firewall, then everything works fine.

Has anyone else had any experience with the Intel WiDi program that would be helpful?

When I noticed that WiDiApp.exe runs a second program, PanDhcpDns.exe, tech support asked me to make sure both programs are in the Applications list, which I did, specifying "Allow All" for both. This too made no difference.

I have had an extended email conversation with tech support, but none of their suggestions have made any difference. I'm hoping that some users will have encountered either mine or a similar problem and have some light they can shed on it.

Thanks in advance.

Walter
April 29, 2012 18:13 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #199693
BIG AL 43

@ wfmetcalf

Walter, For your info....

Your posting will no doubt be monitored by the relevant AVG Team. This Announcement post http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=190509 now appears in the 'Information' forum area. Also please bear this in mind.. AVG support.. Weekends / Holidays.. Have a look @ the 1st part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=159703#post_159703 & the 2nd part of this link http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=188699#post_188699.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 4, 2012 10:32 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #200419
nemethste

Administrator
Hello wfmetcalf,

Please refer to How To Troubleshoot AVG Firewall Blocking An Application article.

Should the issue persists, please download and run fwdiag tool and provide us with results.
Also please send us Msinfo output for further analysis of this issue.

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
May 12, 2012 21:12 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #201939
wfmetcalf

Novice
Diagnostic file wfmetcalf387.7z uploaded using ClickNFix...

Dear TechBuddy Ambassador:

Thank for your helpful and specific reply. I followed the "Troubleshooting...." article as completely as I could, and since the problem persisted, I ran avgfwdiag, and followed the instructions for that, and uploaded the results.

I also ran msinfo32 and have attached the compressed results in the file msinfo.7z to this post.

I look forward to hearing the results.

Sincerely,

Walter Metcalf

May 12, 2012 21:59 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #201941
wfmetcalf

Novice
WiDiApp is unable to connect with my Netgear PTV2000..

Hi again,

Somewhere I read that I was supposed to start a new thread with as many details as possible.

The problem I've I having all along is that when I start Intel's WiDi application (v. 3.0.13.0), the Netgear PTV2000 (connected to my TV) reports on a TV screen error message that it is unable to access the network. The PTV2000 has IP 192.168.16.3 and my laptop is part of a small home network and has IP 192.168.0.20 . It is connected to a printer, my wife's computer, and my iPhone (WiFi) on the same network. The gateway of the LAN is a SMC8014WG has IP 192.168.0.1 . (The profile Test Netgear is a duplicate of Small Home or Office Network, with a few changes as instructed by AVG.)

This issue is 100% repeatable and predictable.

I'm fairly certain that Firewall is at fault here, because if I temporarily disable it and enable the Windows Firewall, the Netgear PTV2000 connects with my laptop without a hitch. No error or warning messages are displayed.

The purpose of the PTV2000 is convert my rather old TV into a semi-smart TV so that whatever is displayed on my laptop screen automatically appears on the TV.

Sometimes when the problem occurs, the network connection failure causes Windows 7 to report a message that WiDiApp has "stopped working". I displayed the detailed error message, saved it into a text file, and have attached it to this message.

Thanks for all your help.

Walter

P.S. At the moment I cannot access the version of the Netgear device software. I'll try to do so later on today, and if I'm successful, I'll post it in a separate message on this thread.

May 12, 2012 22:25 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #201943
wfmetcalf

Novice
Netgear PTV 2000 versions..

Hi again,

WiDi reports that the Netgear device adapter version is 2.0.0.0 and firmware version is 3.0.9.0 . It further reports that the firmware is up-to-date.

Thanks,

Walter
May 14, 2012 12:06 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #202135
nemethste

Administrator
Hello Walter,

Please add your Netgear PTV2000 adapter into IP address whitelist as described in this similar thread.

Should you have any more questions or require any further assistance, please feel free to ask here on forums again.

Thank you.

AVG Team
May 14, 2012 15:26 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #202175
wfmetcalf

Novice
Adding IP addresses to defined networks..

Hello TechBuddy,

I hate to say this, but I added the Netgear address IP (192.168.16.3) to the IP addresses whitelist as you suggested, and it made no difference whatsoever.

Finally, in frustration, I added the ranges 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255 and 192.168.16.1-192.168.16.255 first to the IP addresses whitelist and then to the list of Safe Networks. Neither of these made any difference either.

Seemingly the firewall is not blocking the IP address.

Personally, I think that either Firewall is blocking a third program associated with the Wireless Display (unlikely it seems to me) or it is treating the Netgear as an unknown access point and blocking it using the Mac address, as suggested in the article at http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.num-4676 because the Mac address does not match. If this is indeed the case, I have absolutely no idea how to fix it. :-(

Thanks for yor help,

Walter
May 16, 2012 13:56 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #202583
nemethste

Administrator
Hello wfmetcalf,

Please download and run fwdiag tool and provide us with results.

Also please send us all AVG logs for further analysis.

Thank you.

AVG Team
May 17, 2012 00:34 Re: AVG Internet Security: Firewall Blocks Intel's WiDiApp #202721
wfmetcalf

Novice
Diagnostic files wfmetcalf325.7z and wfmetcalf871.7z uploaded using ClickNFix...

Dear TechBuddy,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. smile

I followed your instructions carefully, and since the two AVGfwdiag.....zip files were much bigger than 2 MB, I used ClickNFix to send them to you. The name of the diagnostic package is wfmetcalf325.7z.

I used the utility specified in your link to gather all the AVG logs. Once again, because of length, I used another run of ClickNFix to send the file to you. The name of that diagnostic package is wfmetcalf871.7z.

I hope this information helps you out.

Once again, thanks so much for your patience and assistance.

Walter
Page 1 of 2 12››