Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Network Protection » AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings
Page 2 of 10 ‹‹12345››
April 27, 2012 16:51 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199393
BIG AL 43

@ supercamel / All Users

any suggestions from AVG staff??

Have a look @ Weekly Overview: 18/2012.. AVG Firewall blocking Guild Wars 2. Subscribe to this RSS feed if you want to be notified about new Weekly Overviews.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
April 28, 2012 11:55 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199501
xwhitemousex

Novice
Issue is NOT SOLVED..

This issue is NOT solved. Get rid of that [SOLVED] tag.

Running the beta client right now with firewalls OFF (as posted in my other thread) in order to be able to run Guild Wars 2 beta client.

The solution in this thread ONLY fixes the GW2.exe file being blocked from downloading the game files.

Once the game files are downloaded and game is installed the AVG firewall is STILL BLOCKING THE CONNECTION TO THE GAME!

You have disable the firewall for the game to connect after you enter your login details.

This issue is NOT fixed!

Someone at AVG needs to pick up their bl**dy phone and call Arenanet so you can work out the issues between AVG firewall blocking connections for the Guild Wars 2 game files.

We are paying for your software. As such it's expected you take measures to develop your product, which in this case means lifting a phone up and dialing a number to get things started. An antivirus software that blocks games and programs from running is WORTHLESS. Might as well just unplug my network cable then since that would achieve the same level of protection.

And get that [SOLVED] flag removed, cause it's plain misinformation at this point.
April 29, 2012 00:49 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199591
zaphod6502

Novice
AVG Firewall and Guild Wars 2 - still not solved..

I can confirm the AVG Firewall is still causing problems.

The first solution (BranchCache=Allow for all) does indeed allow the Guild Wars 2 client to update its game files.

But you still can not log in to Guild Wars 2 unless you turn off AVG Firewall completely.
April 30, 2012 10:04 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199813
nemethste

Administrator
Hello all,

Please induce the issue again, download and run fwdiag tool and provide us with results so we can investigate this issue further.

--
EDIT by jirka82:
We have contacted Arenanet in order to get access to Guild Wars 2 beta for testing in our environment. In the meantime, please provide us with a fwdiag output for analysis as mentioned above.
Opening the port 443 for outgoing communication as seen on the attached screenshot may resolve the log-in issues.
--

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
fw_screen.png
June 6, 2012 20:04 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #206847
MrToastyable

Novice
fix that works for me..

I gave AVG tech support a call once i couldnt find anything helpful on the forums. I did apply the fix posted onto facebook (from external site seen as i refuse to use facebook) so baring in mind this works only with that fix applied.

I am not to sure the cause of the problem , had a look in the firewall logs and it didnt give much away.

Went to "firewall" tab on the AVG 2012 homepage client. Then changed my profile to "Small home or office network" (note: did not tick game mode). Made sure i applied those changes then went to advanced options

I then proceeded to click on "Areas and adapter profile" tab and ticked disable area detection and profile switch. I applied that change, made sure AVG firewall profile was still set to "small home or office network" launched gw2 client and it started downloading.

Beta event weekend 2 here i come!

Just to point out i have not yet tried doing it disabling the fix posted on facebook but i cannot for the life of me remember where i did it, will update later.

Seems this may simply just be a profile error in AVG? Im not sure, works fine with my PC now. Wouldn't say this was a confirmed fix, defiantly not solved, suggest AVG looking into this and provide a solution or update given the popularity guild wars 2 is getting. Can picture horror stories on launch day!

Just to confirm also the facebook fix worked fine for me until i tried to install the newest beta updates.

All the best

Andrew
June 7, 2012 11:27 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #206971
nemethste

Administrator
Hello MrToastyable,

We are glad that you had been able to resolve this issue.

Lets hope that your post will also be helpful to other users.

Thank you for posting back.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
June 7, 2012 14:39 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #207021
RoswellRich

Novice
Still not working..

This issue is still not resolved. I added the rule for ports 80 and 443 and that does allow the game to update with the firewall active. I still cannot log onto the game however without disabling the firewall completely. Please work with ArenaNet to find a solution for this issue promptly.

EDIT: Per a suggestion in another thread I added ports 6112 and 6600 to the rule and that appears to allow me to log onto the game. I won't know for sure until the beta event actually starts tomorrow afternoon. I will update this thread at that time.

SECOND EDIT: I can now confirm that adding the two ports above fixed the problem for me. I have been able to both update the client and play the game this weekend with the AVG firewall turned on.
June 8, 2012 23:45 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #207369
Daniel Schealler

Novice
GW2 Beta Client is logging in through my AVG firewall..

Hey everyone, I've successfully logged in to Guild Wars 2 Beta Client with my AVG Firewall still running.

1) Open AVG User Interface
2) Tools Menu > Firewall Settings...
3) Profiles > [Appropriate Profile for your System] > System Services
4) Manage user system rules
5) Add
6) Configure as per attached screenshot
7) OK
8) Apply
9) Repeat Steps 3-8 for all Profile areas that might be relevant to your system
10) Profiles > [Appropriate Profile for your System] > Applications
11) Sort by Application Name
12) Verify that 'Guild Wars 2 Game client' is in the list, set to 'Allow for all', and that the path to the .exe is correct
13) If needed, add/edit the entry to correct it
14) Apply
15) Repeat steps 10-14 for all Profile areas that might be relevant to your system

That did it for me.

I can't be 100% confident that it will work for anyone else, but give it a go.

---

As a general point of feedback for AVG:

It was a bit frustrating trying to find a location where I could configure which ports to open. Finding it under 'system services' was highly unintuitive to me, and I know fairly well what I'm doing. It's not a show stopper or anything. But it would be nice to see the Firewall Settings interface redesigned to be a bit more intuitive in that regard. Would probably reduce some support queries too. ^_^

---

As a general point of feedback for those that need it (you know who you are):

Being nice to your customer support representatives is Step 1 in 'Getting the most out of customer support 101'. Venting and mouthing off might make you feel better in the short run. But you're just shooting yourself in the foot as regards getting your issue resolved.

I used to work in customer support (not for AVG). Whenever a customer would unload on me, the natural emotional response is: Well f**k you too, buddy.

Think about it. These people have many, many issues that they work to resolve over the course of the day. Being nice and polite with them sort of helps to get your issue bumped a bit higher in the queue.

Just because you are entitled to customer support doesn't mean that acting like an entitled little prick is going to get you what you want any faster. Play nice with customer support, and I can just about guarantee that they will play nice with you back. Mainly due to novelty value, because nice and polite customers are rare and treasured as such. It gets you noticed and remembered.

Which isn't to say you can get some grade-A asshats working in customer support. It does happen. Not as often as many people think, because any human being can buckle down and *become* unhelpful if a customer is being a jerk to them, and the jerk might decide to project their own asshole behavior onto the customer support rep and mis-label them as the 'asshat'.

But that disclaimer aside: Sometimes you do get the odd useless customer service rep. It happens from time to time. But even then, open with niceness and stick to it. If your representative is an asshat back to you, try and get hold of someone else at the company, give them a record of the exchange, make a (polite) complaint, and ask to be referred to someone else. The asshat will be reprimanded and you will jump to the top of the queue.

Being nice is *still* the optimal solution for getting the most out of customer support, even when dealing with an asshat.

Pro tip for life: Don't be a jerk.
AVG.GW2beta.png
June 12, 2012 20:27 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #208113
psyrox2k

Novice
Guild Wars 2 Firewall issues..

This does not fix the problem, I tested it step by step 1 at a time and then reversed it when I had the same issue. I also have Windows 7 64bit, if that helps. I ran the AVG Diag tool which had an error.
AvgFwDiag error: e001003d
When turning on or off debugging.
I attempted to capture 2 log files anyways, one with the AVG firewall on with my standard settings, and one with it on always allow, to show the traffic getting blocked, as well as passing thru.
I also tested changing the setting to directly connected to the internet, vs thru a home router, which another user suggested, also does not work. Everything worked several times without issues, after setting the firewall to allow all, so it's surely something to do with the firewall module specifically.

I can't attach the files here due to a 2mb limit, and the logs are 2.33mb zipped, so I guess I'll email them and link this topic.
Thanks!
June 12, 2012 21:58 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #208125
BIG AL 43

psyrox2k wrote
I can't attach the files here due to a 2mb limit

Alternatives are shown within this link How To Provide Forum Moderators With Files.

AVG Forums Volunteer ModeratorAVG Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
Page 2 of 10 ‹‹12345››