Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Network Protection » AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings
Page 1 of 10 1234››
April 25, 2012 17:45 AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199057
delar303

Novice
I have AVG Internet Security 2012 installed on my computer running windows 7 professional 64 bit edition service pack 1.

I downloaded the Guild Wars 2 Beta Client:

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

When I lauched the download client the AVG firewall asked if I would like to allow access which I said yes for all networks and to add it to the white list. However once the application launched it would hang with the message, "checking for updates".

I read online that AVG firewall was to blame and to disable it. I disabled AVG firewall and the download began immediately so it was definitely the issue.

What I don't understand is I enabled this application in the AVG firewall:

AVG Control Panel -> Firewall -> Advanced Settings ->

Application name: Guild Wars 2 Game Client
Action: Allow for all
Path: c:\guild wars 2\gw2.exe

It should work as it is exempted from the AVG firewall. The moment I disabled the AVG firewall the download worked and Windows Firewall is disabled.

Services -> Windows Firewall -> Disabled (Not Started)

So what am I missing? I would hate to have to disable AVG firewall everytime I go to run this application...
April 25, 2012 18:46 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199073
GettCouped

Novice
AVG - GW2..

Hello,

I have the same issue.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/avg-blocking-run-beta-clienti-t37163.html

The problem as I understand, is thatthe client uses processes that are not identified as being from Gw2.exe. If someone finds the solution please post since I too use AVG.

It seems the only solution right now is to disable the firewall. Perhaps this is something that Arenanet has to do on their end to attach the process to GW2.exe.

However, considering the immense popularity of this game, perhaps AVG and Arenanet can open the lines of communication to help resolve this together.
April 25, 2012 23:27 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199091
Mavmangd

Novice
any new on this..

Same issue, although I saw one post from a person saying he was scanning at the time & it asked for permissions, etc & he allowed it & ended up working with no issues. I never had that optioned to me, it said it wasnt a common file do want to download it? I said yes & hit save.

It went into my download document folder, I clicked on it, it stayed at 0 until i took the firewall off. Im assuming it cant be too safe to play agame with the firewall off? And of course people want to bash avg becuase of this & say to get rid of avg.

I just played Tera online beta with no issues & have played Tribes Ascend aswell as other games with no issues using my avg pro, so if theres anyway of helping us with this issue It would be greatly appreciated. It is in the area of supposedly letting it freely do what it wants in exceptions.
April 26, 2012 01:49 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199107
supercamel

Novice
same problem here
I tried to dive into it as much as I possibly can, switching settings on and off and then running the game client. I have the GW2.exe set up to 'allow for all' under 'Advanced settings' but the ONLY time it works is when i set the whole firewall to 'allow for all'. Makes me think that it indeed is something with AVG?? I wasn't able to catch any other processes that GW2 may kickstart, though I tried when I was running my tests. Would be awesome if we could get this fixed (maybe there are some specific ports being accesses?? or some deeper setting that could be switched? like I said 'allow for all' as a general rule for the Firewall works, so why should it not when its set specifically to that executable?)
I'd hate to have to play with Windows Firewall turned on instead of AVG, I have liked and used AVG (Free first) for a long time and I hoped to continue to do so, issues like this dissuade me from that...
April 26, 2012 02:04 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199109
Mavmangd

Novice
avg plz respond/ look into this for everyone..

Problem is, its only this game that im having issues with avg, played other beta's just fine so its obviously arena net has some hidden ports or something. Because like you said it works free for all. I think i saw a mcafee user saying he had the issue aswell, either way it would be nice if avg could contact guild wars 2 about this & give us some kind of resolution so I dont have to change from avg.
April 26, 2012 07:56 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199131
Java75

Novice
Got exactly the same problem with Guild Wars 2 Beta.
Never had a problem with the AVG Firewall before, all other online games I play or used to play always worked with AVG firewall turned on, but only GW2.exe seems not to work with the AVG Firewall.
The GW2.exe was in the Whitelist, but the problem remained. Then I deleted it from the whitelist, and added it again manually. This did not solve the problem.

Please have a look into this, as I also do not really want to play this game with firewall turned off the whole time.
April 26, 2012 13:18 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199179
Nitaru

Novice
Resolved..

I found a Facebook link that resolved this issue for me running AVG 2012 and windows 7 with admin privileges I previously had to disable my firewall to get the downloader to work. if you go into advanced settings of your firewall and go into the systems services sub menu and change the branchCache/windows remote management from blocked to allow for all it should stop the firewall from getting in the way. here is the original post for whoever is interested http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/posts/10150747927124209 hope this helps laughing.
April 26, 2012 13:23 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199181
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello Nitaru,

We are happy to see that your issue is resolved

Thank you for posting back

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
April 26, 2012 15:01 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199201
delar303

Novice
Thank you Nitaru!..

I verified that this does indeed fix this issue.
April 27, 2012 14:18 Re: AVG IS 2012 Blocks Guild Wars 2.. White-Listed In Firewall Advanced Settings #199357
supercamel

Novice
solved??
"BranchCache/windows remote management" AND "windows remote management" had to be set as 'allow for all' for me... kind of worried about setting this, can we get any confirmation from AVG that this is not a potentially harmful setup? (ie easy access for trojan/worm due to this being open? would Resident shield detect anything if these settings are switched to 'allow for all') i guess it should and i'm probably being paranoid but Ive had way too many problems with viruses before and fiddling around in the sort of 'behind the scenes' settings like this makes me nervous... any suggestions from AVG staff??
Page 1 of 10 1234››