Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Home » AVG 2012 » AVG Network Protection » AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser
March 16, 2012 15:21 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195546
LEIGHTON44

Novice
Brilliant. I have used several different search engines and using the "Settings" at the bottom of the page is the simplest and most effective so far. Thank you.
March 17, 2012 00:59 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195579
david1657

Novice
pleae note AVG as your posts dont come up for a while it seems it didnt work so i did it a few times, but really stop telling us of and just do your business properly!!! i shouldnt even be here!!
March 17, 2012 01:08 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195580
david1657

Novice
This solution dosnt work, my tab looks nothing like that, new tabs are blank.
March 17, 2012 03:55 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195586
Alski777

Novice
Root Kit Scan Results..

Need help about the following:

"";"C:\Users\Al Bautista\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\R4JMKP4M\wbkF59E.tmp";"Hidden file";"Object is inaccessible." undecided

"";"C:\Users\Al Bautista\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\R4JMKP4M\wbkF59C.tmp";"Hidden file";"Object is inaccessible." thinking

"";"C:\Users\Al Bautista\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\R4JMKP4M\wbkF58B.tmp";"Hidden file";"Object is inaccessible." surprised

Thanks!
March 20, 2012 00:02 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195716
WhatisAVG

Novice
AVG Malware..

I have never heard of AVG till about 10 minutes ago when it hijacked my browser. First impressions with potential customers are crucial. I'm assuming your jacking script was embedded with poweriso5 like a piece of malware since that was the last application installed. Absolutely disgusting for any legitimate business ( if you even are, i dont know anything about your company and don't care further than this posting)

I've used power iso for about 6 years, after I uninstall it I will never recommend it again, along with this "AVG" garbage
March 20, 2012 16:33 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195778
nemethste

Administrator
Hello all,

@WhatisAVG

AVG Secure Search does not come with poweriso5. If you have installed PC Tuneup recently you may had installed AVG Browser addon as well.

@david1657

Please provide us with screenshot of mentioned issue.

@Alski777,

Scanning your computer with updated AVG Rescue CD may help.

If you are suspecting that you are infected by some malicious software, please provide us with both Gmer scan results, Msinfo output and AVG Anti-Virus scan results for further analysis.

Thank you

EDIT BIG AL 43.. 'provide us' link amended.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 21, 2012 10:54 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195830
AVG_SUX001

Novice
nemethste wrote
Hello all,

@WhatisAVG

AVG Secure Search does not come with poweriso5. If you have installed PC Tuneup recently you may had installed AVG Browser addon as well.

So what is this then (See attached file)?

I also installed PowerIso5 and pressed next by mistake. Now I have to waste my time on this c**p.
Seriously this is the first time in history I've heard of an Anti-Virus/Spyware/Malware company do something like insert irremovable code into people's browsers. Someone should sue you or something.

---EDIT---

IF YOU HAVE A HIJACKED SEARCH PAGE IN FIREFOX (11.0) EVEN THOUGH YOU REMOVED EVERYTHING DO THE FOLLOWING:

1.Open a new tab in Firefox and enter "about:config" as the URL. Skip the "warranty void" message.
2.Search for browser.search.defaultenginename and change it to "Google (or whatever you want)"
3.Search for keyword.URL and enter your desired search engine. For google it's "http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=".

This should fix that useless thing.

Also I searched for "avg" in about:config and found 2 other settings related to it even though I removed any trace of toolbars and all that. The settings are "extensions.avg@toolbar.install-event-fired" and "avg.userPreferences.newtabDisabledByUser". I reset them both and the first one disappeared somewhere.

---EDIT 2---

WOW AVG are really evil people. I don't use Internet Explorer but I though let's look at it as well.
So of course AVG Secure Search is the default search scope, and you can't even remove it from there through internet Explorer.

So the solution is easy though it involves deleting a registry key so be careful to not delete anything important.

1.Start->Run. Type regedit and enter the Registry Editor.
2. Go to the following location:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes".
There you should all the Internet Explorer scopes find one of them is the AVG one. Mine was {95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233} but I'm not sure it's the same for everyone. DELETE IT!!!
*Note that this key will only be there if you are logged on with the same user that you "installed" the s**t-ware with, So if you are not sure, do this step with all the users on your computer.
3. Restart Internet Explorer.

That should do it but I kept looking and there are some other registry keys of AVG... If you want you can look for them yourselves and delete them.

After you restart IE and search once it might tell you that some program corrupted your search page (DUH!) and it'll reset it to bing.

One last thing. THANK YOU AVG FOR PROTECTING US FROM BAD BAD SOFTWARE THAT MAKES OUR LIVES SO MUCH MORE DIFFICULT.
SHIT.png
March 22, 2012 01:13 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195916
OmG_AvG

Novice
This problem is just f***** sh** !!!!!!
What should we do? Take another security program to manage the 1st one abuses???

It does 1 week I'm trying to retablish the google search on firefox home... NO WAY : When I do a search I go on http://isearch.avg.com and not http://www.google.com. I did everything, in about:config and others.

My case fan recently installed should run at 800rpm, they are at 1060! WHY? I was able to control them directly with ASUS program, but since I got avg, fans regulation seems now impossible, or at least changing values is effectiveless.

When I leave Firefox, my processor keeps using turbo boost for a long time, and can't cool corectly.
Never had so much problem on any of my comps...
Do something... and do it now!!!!! AVG should resolve problems, not create them !
angry angry angry angry angry
March 22, 2012 09:48 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #195941
nemethste

Administrator
Hello OmG_AvG,

Have you installed AVG Secure Search only, or also AVG Anti-Virus?

Thank you.

AVG Team
How-To articles | FAQ | Free Support
March 30, 2012 22:57 Re: AVG "Secure Search" Hijacking My Browser #196456
maebee5

Novice
AVG Search..

I spent hours today trying to delete this very annoying add on from AVG. I finally did it.
Go to "regedit", press F3 button and type in "AVG" and delete all entries one by one.
It removes AVG completely from your system. I've used AVG for the past 6/7 years but
no more. Very nasty of AVG to sneak this into its customers' systems.