Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2012 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » [SOLVED] Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install
December 6, 2011 23:01 [SOLVED] Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install #183698
RcRon7

Novice
So, for years I have use AVG. I have also been using it with Win 7 64bit. I had to recently reinstall Win 7. After that, I put on AVG Free. Then, the problems started. It would not update.

I searched all the threads. UAC, fine. Folder permissions, fine. Internet connection, working fine, and reset for the heck of it. So, I wanted to try a reinstall. Now, system will not uninstall. So, shut down services. Removed Reg entries. Removed AVG Folders. Reboot, verify and reboot again.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall, and I get an error. I'm at my wits end here, after 4 days of this, and would like to try and get some help.

Error code on set up is 0xC0070644, General internal Error, MSI Engine: Failed to install the product.

I have AVGInstLog if someone needs to see one of those files.
December 6, 2011 23:13 Re: Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install #183701
BIG AL 43

@ RcRon7

We recommend following AVG uninstall/reinstall instructions (Free Edition / Home paid products) carefully, if you experience installation difficulties. If the issue persists please provide the most recent AVG installation log files.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To Articles | FAQ | Free Support
December 7, 2011 02:56 Re: Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install #183728
RcRon7

Novice
@ Big Al

Big Al, thank you for the very quick response. I'm not new to forums and my frustration was raising fast.

I have run the uninstaller, and it appears to have worked. So, now the installer is Running, however, it ran into a Setup error and stopped. I'm still unable to install the file avg_free_x64_all_2012_1873a4623

I have one user on this PC, and it is set for administrator.

Install Logs are attached.

Again, many thanks for your help.
December 7, 2011 21:24 Re: Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install #183811
Dusan Obert

Administrator
Hello RcRon7,

There appear to be some access issues to AVG folders, please proceed as follows:
- Perform all removal steps in full reinstallation instructions once again.
- Run Reset Access tool.
- Reinstall with full package.

Should the issue still persist, try to create new temporary user profile with administrative rights or enable built-in Administrator account and try to install from it.
Provide us with fresh installation log files and MSinfo output if the installation fails even with another account.

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ | Free SupportWe Protect Us
December 9, 2011 01:00 Re: Can't Update, Uninstall Or Install #183964
RcRon7

Novice
Thanks for the Help..

Well after following those directions to the letter, and many restarts. It is now reinstalled, and now updating.

Thank you for the help.
December 9, 2011 13:12 Disapproved post #184011
warriorfullight

Novice
The post has been evaluated as inappropriate and therefore it was disapproved.