Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.0 Free Edition » AVG Update » AVG Update Failed
March 31, 2009 16:47 AVG Update Failed #309
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
trave

Senior
I'm very sorry, I did not mean to hijack anybody else's thread. I thought I had the same problem as them.

I have opened this new thread to describe my problem.

I am getting
"Update Failed.
The connection with update server has failed"

whenever I try and update avg. I have been using avg free 8.0 for a considerable time and updates have worked fine, until yesterday.

If I select Update Now, then it appears the update starts, and I can see that the bottom line (immediately above the green status slider changes) changes as follows:
http://guru.avg.com/softw/80free/update/xxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxxx is
avginfowin.ctf 0/1
avginfoavi.ctf 1/2
avginfo.ctf 0/1
avg7info.ctf 0/1
and finaly for a very short time
avg7info 1/1
before the "Update failed" window pops up.

Here is the information that you request:
Windows version - Vista home.
AVG version and virus db version (found in the lower left hand corner of the AVG User Interface) - 8.0.134 and 270.4.3/1529
Other antivirus software installed / previously uninstalled (if any) - none
Other protection software installed - ZoneAlarm
The exact error message you are getting (if any) - see above

Firewall software installed - ZoneAlarm
Internet connection type (dial-up, proxy or broadband info) - broadband (no proxy server)
Who is the provider of your Internet connection (your ISP) - BT

other internet access appears fine
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: AVG Update Failed #311
jennie

Senior

icm00

ZA firewall... see http://free.avg.com/ww.faq.num-1334#faq_1334 ... add all of the files listed into ZA's permissions giving them full internet access ( 4 green checkmarks )... also disable ZA's basic email scanning feature..

Win Vista.... You could try this....

Disable UAC (Windows Vista only)
On Windows Vista, the function User Account Control may in some cases create a copy of specific AVG files in a virtual folder. This limits AVG functionallity after the installation. The UAC function can be disabled in Windows Control Panel -> User accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> uncheck "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer" -> click OK button and restart the computer.
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: AVG Update Failed #313
jagger

Novice

Thanks BIG AL 43

by changing the ZoneAlarm setting for AVG Update download and AVG update module in
Program Control ; Programs to four ticks , Update is now completing, not sure I understand what changed as I don't think I have made any changes to ZoneAlarm since install.....

anyways thanks, and again sorry, I hadn't meant to take the other thread over, I thought I was adding useful information (as when I initially looked at that thread there wasn't much detail in it)...
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: AVG Update Failed #315
kateline

Novice

icm00

OK No probs..thumbs up.. No need to apologize! Pleased to see that you appear to be now sorted. When the AVG prog updated from 8.0.100 the progs within ZA prog control would have changed & therefore some green checkmarks would have req'd adding back in. By the way if you are now totally updated your AVG User Interface should be showing 8.0.138 270.4.6/1540.

Alan
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: AVG Update Failed #317
jonath

Senior

thanks Alan,

yes, User Interface is exactly as you've stated 8.0.138 270.4.6/1540

....Ian
March 31, 2009 16:47 Re: AVG Update Failed #319
trave

Senior

icm00

OK Ian, No probs..thumbs up

Alan
June 25, 2009 02:35 AVG update failed #1665
akpvs

Novice
POST REMOVED

Do not try to hijack someone else's help thread.... read the forum rules which I've linked to below....

http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=371.