Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts)
December 5, 2010 10:40 AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #134659
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
j__f__k__

Novice
I have tried to install the new AVG Free edition (10 / 2011). Unfortunately It does not work for me. The setup program does not run.
I am running Windows 7 x64.

I have tried with these files:
avg_free_stb_en_2011_1170_free.exe size 4,502,408
avg_free_x64_all_2011_1170a3265.exe size 167,112,056

When I started any of the files above, the following happened:
- User Account Control pops up, I granted access (selected yes).
- Setup files are extracted (I do not know where they are placed).
- The setup is aborted/stopped without any message or warning.
- In Windows Task Manager I can see that in total 4 processes are started and stopped.

I have also tried the following:
- Open avg_free_x64_all_2011_1170a3265.exe with 7-zip
- Extract all files to a temporary folder.
- Run setup.exe from that folder.
- Setup.exe is aborted/stopped immediately without any message or warning.
- In the Task Manager I can see that the following processes are active for a short time:
- dllhost.exe
- there is an other one. I can't see the name, but its name has to start with a 'c'.

- Run AVGx64.msi from the temporary folder.
- I get the message:
AVG 2011 Setup Wizard ended prematurely
AVG 2011 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard again. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

- Run COREx64.msi from the temporary folder.
- I pressed Next a few times and after granting UAC access for 4309fc.msi it says it installed correctly.

All the above did not create any log files in c:\ProgramData\MFAData\

After the above I did:

- Run msiexec.exe /l*v t:\temp\MsiInstallLog.txt /i AVGx64.msi
- This gave me the attached log file.
December 7, 2010 16:33 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #135517
j__f__k__

Novice
Only one?..

Has nobody seen the same thing?

Is this issue being investigated by AVG?
December 9, 2010 11:40 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136071
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello j__f__k__,

For solving your situation please follow this how to article How To Create A Process Crash Dump (Post-Mortem)
And provide us with all logs, dumps, screenshots

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
December 10, 2010 18:39 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136415
j__f__k__

Novice
Hello,

I have performed the steps as described in the linked article. However the debugger is not 'fired', when the setup program exits. I have never seen 'crashes' of the setup program.
It seems to me that the setup program performs a clean, controlled exit. However, it exits because something has gone wrong. Can you see what went wrong in the file that I attached to my first post?

Is there anything else that I can try to get this issue resolved?

Regards,
j__f__k__

zpokorny wrote
Hello j__f__k__,

For solving your situation please follow this how to article How To Create A Process Crash Dump (Post-Mortem)
And provide us with all logs, dumps, screenshots

Thank you
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
December 10, 2010 19:29 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136425
BIG AL 43

Can you see what went wrong in the file that I attached to my first post?

Did you by any chance edit that posting?. If so, Your attached file would have been deleted. Presently if a user (not a moderator) edits their post with an attached file it's deleted. This situ is in the process of being investigated.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
December 10, 2010 19:29 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136427
BIG AL 43

Did you by any chance edit that posting?. If so, Your attached file would have been deleted. Presently if a user (not a moderator) edits their post with an attached file it's deleted. This situ is in the process of being investigated.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
December 11, 2010 10:59 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136501
j__f__k__

Novice
Yes,

I think I did make a few corrections to my post.

Therefore I was going to create the log file again, using the same procedure as described in my first post. However this time I did see the setup 'program' that guided me through the setup process. Now AVG Free 2011 is installed and working fine.
I have no idea what might have been changed on my computer.

So I am happy that AVG Free 2011 is now installed and working properly. However I am a bit puzzled about what could have been wrong...

Regards,
j__f__k__

BIG AL 43 wrote

Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
December 11, 2010 12:28 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136503
welland99

Novice
AVG 2011 free doesn't install..

I've had a similar problem for a couple of months now. Ever since AVG free 2011 was released, I have tried every few weeks to upgrade from v9.0.872, but the installation of 2011 never runs properly. The symptoms are just like what JFK wrote.

I downloaded the install file. Over the last few months I have tried several different ones, but currently I have: avg_free_stb_all_2011_1170_upgrade.exe.

The program extracts to somewhere.

Nothing else happens. No errors or warnings are displayed. The PC continues to work properly.

Today after reading this thread I followed the instructions for "How To Create A Process Crash Dump (Post-Mortem)". But this also did nothing. The files drwtsn32.log and user.dmp both have dates several months ago.

For info, I have Windows XP SP3. I have seen the same behaviour on several other PCs belonging to friends.

Can anybody please provide advice?
December 11, 2010 16:32 Re: AVG 2011 Install Does Not Run (Aborts) #136571
BIG AL 43

I downloaded the install file. Over the last few months I have tried several different ones

Have you tried downloading / saving & using the full offline install file from this link http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh (either Item 2-32bit or Item 3-64bit whichever suits your operating system)?.

Alan
How-To articles | FAQ