Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File
December 2, 2010 07:48 Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133337
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
PCisBorked

Novice
When AVG prompted me to restart my computer so that it could finish updating I told it to do so and then left it to it's own devices for approx. 30 minutes. Upon returning I noticed that the System Repair utility was running. Having never encountered this event before I let it continue to run with absolutely no visible progress for another 30 minutes before my impatience got the better of me and I turned the computer off to attempt to find/fix the issue myself in safe mode. During the initial boot of all the system files the computer consistently locked-up on an AVG DLL. Unfortunately I didn't think to write it down and I'm currently at work unable to access my home PC but I will update this thread with more info when I get home (provided Windows' repair utility still hasn't been able to fix the issue after a full eight hours.)

TL;DR AVG update rebooted PC, PC restarts itself during Windows logo, can't get into safemode.

So is anybody else having/had this problem or one like it?
December 2, 2010 10:59 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133339
jirka82

Administrator
Hello PCisBorked,

it seems that many users were affected by this issue unfortunately. We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused.

Please check this thread.

Thank you.

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
December 2, 2010 17:33 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133361
UnhappyCamper

Novice
Antivirus program kills my computers... really?..

Rather bad form when an antivirus program kills your computers... 3 affected here, I am sorry but I cannot support a program that does not test something that causes problems of this proportion...

Off to Avast I go >_<
December 2, 2010 19:39 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133475
BigJay123

Novice
PCisBorked wrote
When AVG prompted me to restart my computer so that it could finish updating I told it to do so and then left it to it's own devices for approx. 30 minutes. Upon returning I noticed that the System Repair utility was running. Having never encountered this event before I let it continue to run with absolutely no visible progress for another 30 minutes before my impatience got the better of me and I turned the computer off to attempt to find/fix the issue myself in safe mode. During the initial boot of all the system files the computer consistently locked-up on an AVG DLL. Unfortunately I didn't think to write it down and I'm currently at work unable to access my home PC but I will update this thread with more info when I get home (provided Windows' repair utility still hasn't been able to fix the issue after a full eight hours.)

TL;DR AVG update rebooted PC, PC restarts itself during Windows logo, can't get into safemode.

So is anybody else having/had this problem or one like it?

Hello. I just went through the same problem. Took all night and morning with the company I bought my comp from to figure it out. I run a RAID 0 setup and when I went into the BIOS, it switched my boot configuration around. Also, when trying to use the windows fixing program that is supposed to fix windows if it was damaged, it also did not work last night. Fortunately here was my solution today: if you use a different setup other than the IDE something to boot from in the BIOS (like me, RAID 0 ) the update may have switched your boot order config. (BTW, I also had no option for safe mode) . Once that is ruled out and/or repaired, try to have wondows "fix" itself when it runs a diagnostic (i use windows 7 so I dont know the other windows self repair. ) Today, it seems that when I ran it all again, it fixed itself but thats due to the 2 part problem I corrected of which it consisted of fixing my boot order in the BIOS, then running the diagnostic tools again. I agree with the last post though, this was a real hassle and I will be removing AVG due to it. I have used AVG for years and have recommended it a lot, but not anymore. Sorry, but remotely screwing my computer doesn't work for me. Test the stupid updates before sending them out. One more thing, the person helping me at the tech support said they had SEVERAL of the same problems today arise and they all stemmed from the last AVG update; meaning AVG has screwed MANY MANY computers yesterday.
December 2, 2010 20:00 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133517
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello BigJay123,

Please accept our sincere apologies for this unpleasant situation.

I would like to ask you to check this announcement post and follow described steps. You can also use modified AVG Rescue CD for USB medium described at FAQ 4080, which contains automatic solution, when affected computer is booted from it.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience

P.S.-This situation was caused by incorrectly published AVG CTF file (contain list of all available update files) after QA testing. The virus database update itself has been succesfully tested at all Windows product versions before release.
December 2, 2010 20:19 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #133559
chmichael

Novice
ondraploteny wrote

P.S.-This situation was caused by incorrectly published AVG CTF file (contain list of all available update files) after QA testing. The virus database update itself has been succesfully tested at all Windows product versions before release.

Excuse me but how hard is to setup 1 server to test all the updates files on all operating systems and the distribute the updates from THAT SERVER ?

And don't tell me you didn't thought of that ...
December 3, 2010 12:35 Re: Latest AVG Update Included Corrupt File #134041
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello chmichael,

welcome at AVG Free Forums.

We do our best to avoid this situation (improve the post-release testing procedure on wider computer base).

Thank you for your cooperation and patience