Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » WinXP Pro x64 SP2 Affected Also
December 2, 2010 08:21 WinXP Pro x64 SP2 Affected Also #133027
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Boomer

Novice

Update from Kodl:
This issue is limited to 64-bit systems only, currently it looks like not all 64-bit systems though...

AVG updated the db and program on My winXP Pro x64 PC. After POST I got the following BSoD message.

STOP: c0000135 The program can't start because MSVCR80.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I recovered my PC by using a boot disk to rename the AVG folder, rebooting, rolling back to an earlier restore point and disabling AVG auto-update.
December 2, 2010 08:42 Re: WinXP Pro x64 SP2 Affected Also #133031
Kodl

Administrator
Thanks for the report and sorry for the problem.
Update is safe now, the affecting file has been removed so you are safe to enable auto-update now. We will post more info and tools to help remediate this once we know more
December 2, 2010 20:09 Re: WinXP Pro x64 SP2 Affected Also #133537
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hello Boomer,

Please accept our sincere apologies for this unpleasant situation.

I would like to ask you to check this announcement post and follow described steps. You can also use modified AVG Rescue CD for USB medium described at FAQ 4080, which contains automatic solution, when affected computer is booted from it.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience
___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
December 3, 2010 05:36 Re: WinXP Pro x64 SP2 Affected Also #133937
Boomer

Novice
It happens...

Thanks for your replies Kodl and ondraploteny,

I was able to recover my PC that same day thanks to these forum posts by your AVG free users,
no harm done.

I just wanted you to know which OS got affected and that the STOP message was different from
the win7 message.

A similar problem (update crashing windows OS) happened last year at my corporation
with McAfee's enterprise edition, so you are in good company.

I expect such mishaps occasionally and this one was more alarming than most because
of the BSoD :surprised: but I appreciate your prompt response and support for your loyal
AVG free fans.

Thank you,
Boomer