Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG 2011 Bricked My Machine - No POST.
December 2, 2010 07:13 AVG 2011 Bricked My Machine - No POST. #132995
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Spitlebug

Novice
Ugh, I am pretty sure AVG 2011 has bricked my machine. I installed it on my fresh Win XP w/ SP3 + updates spare machine. When I rebooted, no POST.

I did all the usual stuff, remove all extraneous cards, detach all the drives, remove/swapped RAM etc...

Still no POST. Video initializes, Mobo info displays, hangs at Processor.

Ugh. Anyone else get this?

Please, if you don't understand what POST means, please do not post a reply.
December 2, 2010 07:26 Re: AVG 2011 Bricked My Machine - No POST. #133007
Kodl

Administrator
If your machine really does not even get to POST then this is hardly an AVG issue indeed. POST runs before any part of AVG could even be loaded from the disk, needless to say run. This looks more like a random memory error issue, has happened to me about a month ago with exactly the same symptoms
December 2, 2010 07:55 Re: AVG 2011 Bricked My Machine - No POST. #133017
Rakintoh

Novice
@Spitlebug

I don't think AVG or any 3rd party software processes starts during or before POST (unless its mobo/PC manufacture related). I think its a case of a hardware issues that coincidentally occurred after you installed AVG. If you disconnected the drive where AVG is installed, why is there no POST? That cannot be AVG's doing IMO.

For your info, I did do a test install of AVG 2011 on a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3 32-bit (without any other software installed) a while back and I didn't experience any booting problems or BSODs etc..

Cheers.
December 3, 2010 16:50 Re: AVG 2011 Bricked My Machine - No POST. #134149
Spitlebug

Novice
Rakintoh wrote
@Spitlebug

I don't think AVG or any 3rd party software processes starts during or before POST (unless its mobo/PC manufacture related). I think its a case of a hardware issues that coincidentally occurred after you installed AVG. If you disconnected the drive where AVG is installed, why is there no POST? That cannot be AVG's doing IMO.

For your info, I did do a test install of AVG 2011 on a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3 32-bit (without any other software installed) a while back and I didn't experience any booting problems or BSODs etc..

Cheers.

Thanks guys. I am aware that AVG doesn't run until after the Window Kernel loads.

The processor is done. c**p. My reason to suspect AVG is that is was the only program aside from a few drivers and whatnot on the machine. The machine worked reliably for a few years after which I installed a SSD and re-installed Win XP Pro 32bit. All of which went off without a hitch.

Fast forward a few days and an AVG update forced restart and *blip* no POST.

It's not unheard of for components to go bad, but AVG had been consuming more resources than reasonable. Makes me wonder if it slipped the processor usage to 100% for a long time...