Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » PC Analyzer...Turn It Off?
Page 1 of 2 12››
November 3, 2010 21:03 PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #123997
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Toobusy2

Novice
Why oh why is it that once I decide to convert all 7 of our computers to AVG Free (9), AVG has to go and get more complicated? I left Norton because it bogged my computer down. I left Kasparsky because it let too many viruses through and it was complicated. I did research and saw that AVG Free was a great program and easy to use. So I downloaded it all our laptops/desktop.

Now, I am being told I need to upgrade to AVG Free 2011. So I upgrade to 2011 and did the custom install to avoid the linkscanner.

Now I have this PC Analyzer to deal with.
If I don't want to run it, can I ignore it or will it keep returning to remind me to run it all the time? It in turn takes you to a place to download even more software (yeah, I'm getting that AVG wants money from me SOME HOW). I already have a registry cleaner, defragger etc. I don't want my Antivirus to do those things too. I just want ANTIVIRUS. Do I need to uninstall AVG Free 2011 and reinstall it without the PC Analyzer to make it go away? I thought I was careful when I installed AVG Free 2011 and only asked for the Antivirus part of the program (no toolbar, no linkscanner, no extra languages).

Every time I think I'm done installing this program, another pop up comes up that something else needs done.

My problem also is that 3 of our laptops are with my kids who are off in different places. I now have to talk them through the upgrade and settings. It's not just a matter of downloading it and running it. They will call every time a new pop up comes up and wants something done until the dust settles and the program is happy. I want to get all the information together now so I can talk them through upgrading and have all the settings down so no pop ups after we install it (and no need to call me).
November 3, 2010 22:29 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #124043
dusano123

Hello,

It is not possible to install AVG 2011 without PC Analyzer component.
You can simply choose to ignore it. You should not be reminded about the component.

Upgrade from AVG 9 to AVG 2011 is done by simply running AVG 2011 installation package. Should there be any issues please provide us with more information.

Thanks
November 3, 2010 22:36 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #124047
Toobusy2

Novice
dusano123 wrote
Hello,

It is not possible to install AVG 2011 without PC Analyzer component.
You can simply choose to ignore it. You should not be reminded about the component.

Upgrade from AVG 9 to AVG 2011 is done by simply running AVG 2011 installation package. Should there be any issues please provide us with more information.

Thanks

Thank you! It's good to know that you can ignore the PC Analyzer popup notification and it will not return. Simple is what I like.

I have to say, it does run MUCH faster on the two computers I've put it on so far compared to AVG 9 Free.
November 5, 2010 03:10 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #124441
bobbyz

Novice
PC Analyzer..

I notice the PC Analyzer on my recent download of the Free AVG 2011. Is it a part of the AVG 2011 download and cannot be removed?

Can we just ignore it? It states "Analysis Required."
I understand that if you do "activate" it, there is a yearly cost as there is with "Identity Protection."

The 'PC Analyzer' cannot be removed, but it does not have to be run/activated.
Is that correct?
November 21, 2010 07:57 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #128929
Free_Being

Novice
I tried AVG 2011 (Free, and Internet Security) and they have a big problem :

PC Analyzer cannot be uninstalled / disabled.

Worst : with Free version, even if I check "Ignore", PC Analyzer wake up very often.

The only solution I found at this time : use old AVG 9, or Avira Antivir.

How can we uninstall that component ? Why it is also into Internet Security version ?
November 24, 2010 06:10 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #129613
Free_Being

Novice
I tried with lastest version (2011.1170 of 11/23/2010) and same problem : we can't remove that... thing.
December 1, 2010 23:09 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #132231
AccessDenied

Novice
Time to find an alternate product..

I've been a supporter of AVG for years because it was lightweight. With my license expiring in a few months I didn't think I'd have any decision. However, with the addition of PC Analyzer I started testing alternatives. I wouldn't risk running PC Analyzer against anything I own. I generally don't trust these kinds of "tools" and adding it as an unremovable scareware feature sours me from continuing to use the product. I understand trying to expand the product line but it seems like it's aimed at taking advantage of people who can't manage their systems properly and they won't be able to recover if it breaks anything. Again, if it was removable like other components I don't use, I wouldn't really care.
December 1, 2010 23:28 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #132239
BIG AL 43

AccessDenied wrote
With my license expiring in a few months

The forum is actually only for the AVG Free Edition... the help is only from other AVG Free users (and when available AVG employees.. If you see the AVG logo avatar that signifies that the person works for AVG Technologies). Any questions concerning the Pro either Trial or Paid for version should be directed at AVG's Tech or Sales support, who have enough tools to help you with this situation, on the main website http://www.avg.com/ww-en/support-existing or http://www.avg.com/ww-en/support-sales.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
December 9, 2010 14:21 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #136105
AccessDenied

Novice
Follow up..

I wanted to follow up on this thread. I sent an email to support right after my original post. It took over a week to get a response and the response was that the component can't be removed. It seems strange that users of the free product can use the forums to ask for help while paid users cannot. Instead we get to wait longer for a response.
This helped make my decision even easier.
December 9, 2010 16:30 Re: PC Analyzer...Turn It Off? #136135
jirka82

Administrator
Hello AccessDenied,

please be informed that pointing you to the AVG Technical support was meant as a mean of getting better support (they have more tools to help AVG users and the answer is usually faster). Unfortunately, responds may be delayed currently due to temporarily increased volume of technical queries. Also, some posts on this forum are not unanswered for more than three weeks due to the recent high forum traffic (The announcement; I have replied this your post rather randomly).

Questions of paying/trial users are usually answered on this forum if the answer is apparent and does not require file analysis. Also, the situation could be different for AVG paid products as volunteer moderators and other users are familiar with AVG Free only. Coincidentally, the answer was the same as mentioned by dusano123 above.

Thank you,

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
Page 1 of 2 12››