Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG Free » AVG 2011 Free Edition » AVG Update » How To Stop Update
October 26, 2010 21:49 How To Stop Update #120915
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
AVGrl23

Novice
Hi, is there a way to disable automatic daily updates? I'm not talking about the scan, but AVG's updates to the software it is set to automatically look for then restart the computer. Under advanced settings it is set to the default 24 hours (I can't even find that page now) but it doesn't let you turn it off or change it to once a month or not automatic. This slows down my computer and is a nuisance, it wasn't in the pre-2011 version. Thanks for any help.
October 26, 2010 23:21 Re: How To Stop Update #120967
BIG AL 43

Before you installed AVG Free http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=109397.... Have you read the User Manual?.... In Advance Settings you have to stop both the prog & vdb updates.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
How-To articles | FAQ
October 26, 2010 23:46 Re: How To Stop Update #120979
AVGrl23

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
Before you installed AVG Free http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=109397.... Have you read the User Manual?.... In Advance Settings you have to stop both the prog & vdb updates.

Well like I said I tried to do this. I go into advance settings as listed in my post, and under both prog and virus database updates it doesn't let me change the settings. "Run at Specific Interval" is checked which you can't uncheck and in the drop box only one option is available , "every day" that you can't select another option from. The only "option" I have is to select a time or else one is automatically checked. The above option "run every" is grey shaded and I can't select anything from it. Is there a way to change this so I don't uninstall it? I don't like it running all the time every day looking for updates and then the restart my computer message popping up all day until I give in to reboot it.
October 27, 2010 10:39 Re: How To Stop Update #121089
tafariuprising

Novice
tools - advanced settings - schedules

untick 'enable this task' in scheduled scan, virus database update schedule, and program update schedule.

untick boxes in advanced schedule options and other update settings.

click ok.

on user interface, an exclamation mark should appear under update manager, stating 'database update is disabled'.