Although AVG Free Edition does not require license number (it is embedded in the AVG Free Edition installation wizard), a license number could be requested under certain circumstances:
- License number expired
- License number cannot be verified
- License number is not valid
- AVG is not able to recognize your license key
- AVG Free Edition is being installed on a server operating system
A)AVG Trial version has been installed and it is really expiring (expired)
- it is enough to choose downgrade to AVG Free option in uninstallation procedure. Or you can uninstall AVG Trial and install AVG Free.
B)Windows license number has been changed (and Windows re-activated)
- it is enough to delete "avg.snu" file from AVG program folder (by default - C:\Program files\AVG\AVG<version_number> for 32bit OS or C:\Program files (x86)\AVG\AVG<version_number> for 64bit OS) and repair AVG installation with latest installation file.
C)Other protection application or firewall has blocked AVG process during verifying procedure
- it is not generally recommended to use more protection applications due to possible conflicts and slowdown. Please make sure all AVG processes are fully trusted (allowed) in the installed firewall application. Situation will be resolved with the following computer restart after no AVG process can be blocked.
D)Corrupted AVG installation
- AVG installation got corrupted due to hard drive or memory module failure thus the license configuration file is unreadable.
- Please check your hard disk and memory modules for errors.
- You can follow this How-To article about computer clean up. Then delete "avg.snu" file from AVG program folder (by default - C:\Program files\AVG\AVG<version_number> for 32bit OS or C:\Program files (x86)\AVG\AVG<version_number> for 64bit OS) and repair AVG installation with latest installation file.
E)AVG Free Edition is being installed on a server operating system
- Please note AVG Free Edition may not be installed on a server operating system. Please see a list of supported operating systems at this web page.
- When installing AVG Free Edition on a server operating system, the installation will require a valid server license before proceeding with the setup process. This is correct AVG Free Edition installer behavior.