Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Network Protection » Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling?
Page 1 of 2 12››
May 6, 2010 21:58 Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #86425
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Ramael

Novice
I've become used to a small function available on firefox. Sometimes when just typing a couple words like "youtube christina" or "cibc login" on the address bar, it would bring you straight to the website. Now, when I do that it automatically avg/yahoo searches.

I have already completely uninstalled avg, and if this problem persists, I don't intend on reinstalling it. I have changed the avg toolbar is obviously gone, and the firefox search engine in the top right corner is set to google. Also, when I type "about:config" in the address bar and then type browser.search.defaultenginename, it still says my default search engine in google. So why can't I get rid of this avg yahoo default page whenever i type anything that isn't an address in the address bar.

At the very least I want THAT back to google, as I can't stand even looking at that avg/yahoo page. If i'm forced to uninstall and reinstall firefox again I don't know if I could bring myself to ever download another avg product.
May 7, 2010 07:15 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #86503
jirka82

Administrator
Hi,

please check this post.

Thanks.

***************AVG Team
June 30, 2011 16:35 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168371
FireStormer

Novice
a..

You guys (AVG) are a disgrace.

First of all, you have no business clandestinely changing my default search interface. I do not want you messing around with my preferences without my knowledge and permission.

Secondly, now that I have found that Google Search has been supplanted by your AVG search page I can't seem to change it back. I've disabled plugins, searched the internet, tried calling you guys (but there seems to be no option to talk to a human), and out of frustration uninstalled AVG, and even gone into the about:config Firefox page.

I'm never going back to your product. Figuring out how to solve this problem is a huge waste of time.

Also, none of the solutions on this forum or others seem to work for me.

That's all I have to say.
July 1, 2011 06:15 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168398
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello FireStormer,

Please accept our sincere apologies for these inconveniences with AVG product. Hopefully one day we will get your confidence again.

Thank you

___________________AVG TeamHow-To articles | FAQ
July 4, 2011 23:48 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168602
FireStormer

Novice
a..

I'm going to be honest: Like I said before, I'm never going back to AVG because I'm not happy with what your company has done. In an ideal world people could forgive and forget but in this era people are too overwhelmed and too busy to waste time dealing with problematic products and on a repeat basis. I appreciate your apology but it doesn't fix the problem.

It would make me feel much better as well as being the right thing for your company to do if you could explain to me and for others how to completely remove your search engine from co-opting my Google search results.

Uninstalling your product has not solved it. Using your removal tool has not solved it. Editing the Firefox about:config properties has so far not solved it. I'm really at a loss here and in my opinion it's your responsibility to solve this problem since you created it.

Let me be clear: Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Thank you.
July 5, 2011 10:38 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168628
dusano123

Hello FireStormer,

Search via address bar uses variables as described in this Mozilla article.

Also make sure that AVG Safe Search is no longer present in search bar.

As AVG is no longer installed and was completely removed it can not interfere with these settings.

Thank you
July 5, 2011 15:42 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168644
FireStormer

Novice
a..

Hello,

I took a look the solutions you presented (and thank you for them) but they are not applicable to my problem.

Searches via the address bar appear normal in (ie. they go to Google) in the about:config area.

Also, I had previously disabled AVG Safe Search in the search bar.

My problem specifically is that when I'm on the Google home page and I enter a search directly into their website and click enter, at that point, searches are re-directed to the "Sites checked by AVG" site.

And as mentioned previously, I have already completely uninstalled AVG.

Any more ideas on how to fix this?
July 6, 2011 16:30 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168708
dusano123

Hello FireStormer,

This is very unusual behavior as AVG, even when installed, should not redirect Google searches.
Could you please provide us with screenshot of search phrase entered into google and with search page that is returned after hitting enter key?

Also try to check Proxy and DNS settings.

Proxy settings:
Start - Control Panel - Internet Options - Connections tab - LAN Settings
If there is a proxy server filled in and you are not familiar with it please delete it and save settings.

DNS settings:
Start - Control Panel - Network adapter properties - choose your active adapter - Right click - Properties - Choose Internet protocol version 4
Settings should be "Obtain DNS server address automatically" if not specified otherwise by your ISP.
Repeat for Internet protocol version 6 if there is any installed.

Thank you
July 7, 2011 21:21 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168792
FireStormer

Novice
a..

I've attached a screenshot as you asked.

As mentioned previously, I would like to remind you that the problem is only specific to my current Firefox profile and does not affect a new Firefox profile that I created for testing purposes. And, as also mentioned previously, I'm trying to avoid transferring over to the new profile because it's a huge pain with all the tabs I have active in the problematic profile.

So, while I checked my system settings as you asked just to be completely sure, they were all normal as I expected.

Additionally, this problem does not affect Internet Explorer.

Please let me know what you think.
avg.jpg
July 8, 2011 07:47 Re: Why Is AVG Safe Search Still My Default Search Engine After Completely Uninstalling? #168799
Pokornyz

Administrator
Hello FireStormer,

For help on your situation please open Firefox's about:config page and reset following two things (search for them on filter: )

browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID

browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone

Thank you
Page 1 of 2 12››