Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Is Crippling Internet Explorer (And Nothing Else)
March 19, 2010 22:29 AVG Is Crippling Internet Explorer (And Nothing Else) #74423
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
SantoAnderson

Novice
Windows 7
AVG - 9.0.791
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I have a month old PC, and for the past month I've been running mostly Internet Explorer whenever I surf the net. I also have Firefox as a back up, though w/o saved passwords, history, etc. This morning I visited a site that always gives me an AVG warning in a pop-up window, with multiple block options. Paraphrased (Block this, Don't Block, Block All) I think. It's a safe site, though the pop-up always jumps up every time I visit. I always hit the Block this option (remember, paraphrased from memory) and it lets me continue to my regular browsing. Today I accidentally hit "Block All" or "Block Always" and now Internet Explorer will not open anything. When I boot up the program, and it goes to the MSN homepage it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." Whenever I try to go to any other domain name, I quickly get the same error.

Initially I figured it was an Internet Explorer issue. I went into Internet Options and deleted history, restored factory defaults, etc. and it still happens every time. Then I went into AVG, clicked my firewall options, hoping to see a "AVG Internet Explorer options tab". But I didn't. I see three options "Firewall enabled, Firewall Disabled, Emergency Mode." I clicked "Firewall Disabled" and Internet explorer suddenly worked.

So the quick solution to get IE working again is to turn off my firewall, which pretty much defeats the purpose of paying my subscription for AVG, and leaves me at risk. Is there a way to go into the AVG settings as it relates to a particular program and reset the settings or delete recent additions to it?

I'm using Firefox for the time being, but I've really gotten used to using IE and I'd like to go back to it.
March 19, 2010 23:35 Re: AVG Is Crippling Internet Explorer (And Nothing Else) #74443
BIG AL 43

The forum is only for AVG Free Edition... the help is only from other AVG Free users. Any questions concerning the Pro either Trial or Paid for version must be directed at AVG's Tech or Sales support, who have enough tools to help you with this situation, on the main website http://www.avg.com/ww-en/support-existing.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

March 26, 2010 12:16 Re: AVG Is Crippling Internet Explorer (And Nothing Else) #76535
dstack68

Novice
I am having a similar problem. I have removed AVG 9 and the problem goes away. Does anyone know why AVG is causing this?

SantoAnderson wrote
Windows 7
AVG - 9.0.791
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I have a month old PC, and for the past month I've been running mostly Internet Explorer whenever I surf the net. I also have Firefox as a back up, though w/o saved passwords, history, etc. This morning I visited a site that always gives me an AVG warning in a pop-up window, with multiple block options. Paraphrased (Block this, Don't Block, Block All) I think. It's a safe site, though the pop-up always jumps up every time I visit. I always hit the Block this option (remember, paraphrased from memory) and it lets me continue to my regular browsing. Today I accidentally hit "Block All" or "Block Always" and now Internet Explorer will not open anything. When I boot up the program, and it goes to the MSN homepage it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." Whenever I try to go to any other domain name, I quickly get the same error.

Initially I figured it was an Internet Explorer issue. I went into Internet Options and deleted history, restored factory defaults, etc. and it still happens every time. Then I went into AVG, clicked my firewall options, hoping to see a "AVG Internet Explorer options tab". But I didn't. I see three options "Firewall enabled, Firewall Disabled, Emergency Mode." I clicked "Firewall Disabled" and Internet explorer suddenly worked.

So the quick solution to get IE working again is to turn off my firewall, which pretty much defeats the purpose of paying my subscription for AVG, and leaves me at risk. Is there a way to go into the AVG settings as it relates to a particular program and reset the settings or delete recent additions to it?

I'm using Firefox for the time being, but I've really gotten used to using IE and I'd like to go back to it.
March 26, 2010 12:23 Re: AVG Is Crippling Internet Explorer (And Nothing Else) #76539
BIG AL 43

@ dstack68

ZA firewall?.... If so, For up-to-date ZA info please read thro' this Stickie post link in it's entirety http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=40485 & look @ Knowledge Base 2818. If not....

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan