Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On
August 1, 2009 14:26 AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #9759
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Shafty78

Novice
Hi there,

My first post and i hope someone can help.

Basically, my AntiVirus Free won't turn on. I am on Windows Vista, have the latest version of AVG Free and have turned off Windows Defender.

But in the Windows Security Center window where it tells me that Malware protection is turned off, whever I clock on Turn on now it just doesn't do anything - it stays turned off for AVG.

Anyone know how I can get this turned on?

Thanks
August 1, 2009 15:36 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #9769
BIG AL 43

Windows Defender shouldn't be turned off!....

If AVG is stating that it is running ok but Windows Security Center states that there is no antivirus installed... then the problem is with the Security Center and not AVG itself.

First try downloading and then running http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/delrepwv_en.exe

If you still have issues...

Right click on the Command Prompt and select "Run as adminstrator" from the menu list...

Type the following command...
winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistant"...

Run the following command...
winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time this is run, it will fail and then it will issue the commands to the services that are causing it to fail. It will likely take a few minutes for the services to shut down. Run the command again, its possible that you may have to run this several times to get it to complete on its own.

When finished, reboot the system.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

August 2, 2009 15:51 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #9953
stu1962

Novice
I had the same issues. I ran the download that is supposed to fix the registry with no affect. I then followed the CMD command from BigAl and it worked the first time. It reported "INCONSISTENT" and when i ran the "salvage" command, it worked and reported "SALVAGED". When i rebooted the PC, the Windows Security center reports AVG is working! Thanks BigAl

If you still have issues...

Right click on the Command Prompt and select "Run as adminstrator" from the menu list...

Type the following command...
winmgmt /verifyrepository

If the system returns "WMI repository is not consistant"...

Run the following command...
winmgmt /salvagerepository

The first time this is run, it will fail and then it will issue the commands to the services that are causing it to fail. It will likely take a few minutes for the services to shut down. Run the command again, its possible that you may have to run this several times to get it to complete on its own.

When finished, reboot the system.
August 4, 2009 12:51 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #10323
Montekarbaron

Novice

------------------------------------- POST REMOVED -------------------------------------

Please do not hijack someone else's help thread by posting your comments,
questions or opinions in their help thread.
Please read The Forum Rules

Also please remember to include the info we need to assist you when you
create your own new thread for what you are posting about.
What Information Should I Include?

Edited by BIG AL 43
March 10, 2010 00:43 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #70791
Xenjiro

Novice
I downloaded and ran the thing. Didn't work.

But after I did the /verifyrepository, it said WMI was consistent, yet AVG still won't turn on. Any help?
:confused:
_______________________________________________________________________________________

There was neither a better time nor place,
than here and now.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
March 10, 2010 00:59 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #70799
dusano123

Hello,

Please provide us with all the needed information:
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=23793

Thanks
March 10, 2010 11:38 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #70885
Xenjiro

Novice
My bad. x__x

I'm running Windows Vista, AVG version 9.0 free edition, db version 271.1.1/2733.
I also have Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Spybot S&D, along with windows firewall.

AVG reports that's it's turned off, but I then I try to turn it on, it does nothing.
I've tried what Alan said to no avail.

There was neither a better time nor place,
than here and now.

March 10, 2010 12:33 Re: AVG Anti-Virus Free Won't Turn On #70895
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

please make sure that other protection applications are disabled (uninstalled) and you have run the utility ( http://www.avg.com/filedir/util/support/delrepwv_en.exe ) as Administrator, restart computer.

Then please check your hard disk for errors (checkdisk utility).

Thank you
***************AVG Team