Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Virus Removal, Tools for Removing » White Listed File Infection:Win32/Patched.CJ- What To Do?
March 6, 2010 11:48 White Listed File Infection:Win32/Patched.CJ- What To Do? #69697
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
MaffewP

Novice
I keep getting this Virus notification

Windows Vista

"Object name";"C:\Windows\System32\drivers\atapi.sys"
"Detection name";"Virus identified Win32/Patched.CJ"
"Object type";"file"
"SDK Type";"Core"
"Result";"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)"
"Action history";""

Have done Malwarebytes Scan and no luck as well as Windows Search and Destroy!
Read many forums but nothing seems to work
Please help getting a little desperate :undecided:
March 6, 2010 12:51 Re: White Listed File Infection:Win32/Patched.CJ- What To Do? #69701
BIG AL 43

"Object is white-listed (critical/system file that should not be removed)".... You have a critical Windows system file that got infected... removing it without taking the proper steps would make your system unbootable. In short you need to do it manually. This is why that file is whitelisted.

Using your Windows CD... type SFC /SCANNOW on the run line to see if Windows will correct the issue for you or not. If not you will have to make the replacement from the Recovery Console that you can get to after booting from the CD.

Also carry out a forum search on atapi.sys.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

March 6, 2010 16:32 Re: White Listed File Infection:Win32/Patched.CJ- What To Do? #69753
MaffewP

Novice
Hi Al,

Thanks for the response.
But could we break it down a little?

My "Windows CD", im not sure I have a physical CD disk if thats what we are talking.
Also what effect will this reboot have- will I lose files etc?

And finally how serious is this infection..is it really a matter of time running out?

So would love a break down and more "newbie-friendly" idea of what actions to take.

Thank you so much for your time.

Its so refreshing to know there are people out there that just want to help other computer users with there various issues!

Thank you!
March 8, 2010 07:47 Re: White Listed File Infection:Win32/Patched.CJ- What To Do? #70175
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

the system file "atapi.sys" got injected by infection and is needed to replace it with clean version as it is not possible to clean it directly.

Please follow these steps - http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&
id=51637#post_51637 - how to recover atapi.sys on your computer

The reboot and the actions around should "touch" only system files, not your data. This infection should be removed from your computer as soon as possible (not lose data, sending spam, be part of server attack (DOS), etc.)

Thank you
***************AVG Team