Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » Annoying Pop-Up Ad
Page 1 of 2 12››
March 4, 2010 13:44 Annoying Pop-Up Ad #69083
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
davey11111111

Novice
I started receiving this annoying pop-up ad from AVG telling me, "Time is Running Out!" and "Enhance Your Protection Now", and urging me to upgrade to version 9.0. I am currently running Free AVG version 8.5.435, and this problem just started happening a few days ago, and it appears to be happening at random times.

I searched this forum and someone suggesting removing the "Notification" folder under C:\Program Files\AVG. I did that, but the problem persists. I've used AVG for a long time, but I will find something else if I can't stop this pop-up in the next few days. The main reason I chose AVG in the first place is because it did NOT contain pop-up ads.

I'll look for someone to reply to this posting. Thank you.
March 4, 2010 17:32 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #69147
jirka82

Administrator
Hi davey11111111,

please be informed that it is not possible to disable the pop-up messages in AVG Free completely. However, please note that these pop-up's contain security information. We recommend upgrading to AVG 9.0 which provides better protection level than AVG 8.5.

You can install AVG 9.0 Free as well using this installation file.

Thanks

***************AVG Team
March 7, 2010 17:25 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #69963
LameForumName

Junior
jirka82 wrote
Hi davey11111111,

please be informed that it is not possible to disable the pop-up messages in AVG Free completely. However, please note that these pop-up's contain security information. We recommend upgrading to AVG 9.0 which provides better protection level than AVG 8.5.

You can install AVG 9.0 Free as well using this installation file.

Thanks

***************AVG Team

Hi Jirka82,
Trying to characterize a pop-up ad as “security information” is less that a weak argument, it is just plain laughable, at least have the decency to call it what it is. Many of us have left paid virus protection services because they became nagware, so AVG is not doing itself any favors by adopting this business model. I for one have tried AVG 9 and found that it wasn’t ready for “prime time” due to bugs and don’t appreciate being nagged to up-grade to it on a constant basis. So if this is the new model for how your company wants to do business than I can no longer recommend AVG to others as it is now just another nagware application…heck even Microsoft’s anti-virus solution is free of pop-ups, and we are talking about Microsoft here who loves to up sell there “customers” at every opportunity.

I have only been using AVG for a few years (was recommended to me by a friend) and with the exception of AVG 9 I have always been impressed with your products (ver.7, ver.8, and 8.5) and service (even for free customers) but I guess the old saying “all good things must come to an end” is true here. Instead of waiting until you stop supporting ver. 8.5 to decide if I want to give ver. 9 another try or look for something else your new pop-up ad nagware feature has got me to start looking for something now. I didn’t leave Symantec because it was a paid product, I paid them for years, I left because it became nagware…just like AVG now has.

Congratulations.

March 8, 2010 07:41 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #70169
Jasmine

AVG fan
Why Is The Pop-Up Coming Up Randomly?..

Hi,

I completely agree with LameForumName!

But I even understand that you have to do some kind of advertisment for the new version. But why does it have to be via regular popups? I have been informed now that there is the new version. Why keeping on with the popups.

And my most important question: why on earth is the popup coming up randomly? It is not coming up on startup or when AVG updates itself, but it comes totally randomly. I am in the middle of work or other things and out of the blue the popup comes up.
If you really feel the need to advertise via popup (which I and obviously others do neither understand nor appreciate), why dont you regulate the popup-behavior of the ad?

Only my 2 cents...
March 14, 2010 04:23 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #72067
LameForumName

Junior
Just wanted to take a quick moment to thank the volunteer moderators here at the AVG free site, like Big Al 43, for their work. You guys have posted excellent information that has helped me on numerous occasions (many times I didn’t even need to post because the solution was already there).

I have decided to move on to another anti-virus solution that does not include nageware pop-ups because if AVG is going to use them to “up-sell” users to Version 9 then they will used them in the future to nag everyone to upgrade to Version 10 whenever it comes out…once the nagware model is adopted it just keeps going. Oh well. Best of luck to all of you (Yarr and Avast mateys!).
:cool:
March 28, 2010 05:24 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #77011
Rosie7

Novice
OH! I completely agree. That annoying pop-up has been pestering me since I downloaded the AVG Upgrade and then promptly uninstalled it for locking up my network connections. I hate the new upgrade and reverted to the old one. However, now I'm thinking about deleting AVG permanently because I'm fed up with this pop-up c**p.
March 29, 2010 05:59 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #77297
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi Rosie7,

which AVG version have locked your network connections? As one of the latest AVG 9.0.790 fixed some possible network card blocking (after some time of usage).

If the issue persists with latest AVG program version, could you please provide us with all needed information?
- especially other used protection applications and firewall

Thank you
***************AVG Team
June 23, 2010 17:42 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #94325
danielholeman

Novice
Rosie7 wrote
OH! I completely agree. That annoying pop-up has been pestering me since I downloaded the AVG Upgrade and then promptly uninstalled it for locking up my network connections. I hate the new upgrade and reverted to the old one. However, now I'm thinking about deleting AVG permanently because I'm fed up with this pop-up c**p.

And I agree and also stopped recommending to others, which I had been doing for years. AVG, please find a less invasive means of inviting people to pay for an upgrade. It is very offensive. I just uninstalled it.
June 24, 2010 06:43 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #94441
jirka82

Administrator
Hello danielholeman,

your negative feedback has been noted and reported.

Thank you.

***************AVG Team
June 27, 2010 05:35 Re: Annoying Pop-Up Ad #95005
hatenaggers

Novice
upgrade popups..

I concur with everyone else. I am uninstalling AVG and looking for something else that I have control over.
Page 1 of 2 12››