Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Pop-up Ads
July 19, 2009 22:53 AVG Pop-up Ads #6515
gumboman

Novice
I have being using AVG Anti-Virus Free for quite some time (version 8.5.xxx). Just recently, I have started getting pop-up ads to my desktop pushing the upgrade to AVG Internet Security. Is there anyway in AVG Anti-Virus Free to turn off this pop-up (it happens every day).

Charliech
July 19, 2009 22:57 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6517
rdsok

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

July 20, 2009 00:41 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6533
gumboman

Novice
rdsok wrote
Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?

I'm using WinXP SP3, no other security software running live, IE8. All I need to know is how to disable the pop-up?
July 20, 2009 01:41 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6541
rdsok

The pop-up should have only have shown once unless there is another reason like leftovers from a previously uninstalled antivirus or other protection software. Perhaps you aren't using a user account with administrator rights and it can't make the changes...

So... make certain you are logged in with an admin account when the pop-up happens... if that isn't it, try the following.

First let's start by cleaning up all temporary files and check for registry issues. I prefer a util called CCleaner found at http://www.ccleaner.com which does an even better job than the Windows Disk Cleanup and it also can check for registry issues. When checking for registry issues, run it about 3-4 times until it lists no other issues.

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select both options. It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive. This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.

Follow up all of that with a full Defrag to ensure the best performance you can of the system.

July 20, 2009 01:45 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6545
rdsok

The pop-up should only happen once unless you are clicking the Later button... or have some other protection software that may be blocking the change or perhaps are not logged in with an admin user account.

First let's start by cleaning up all temporary files and check for registry issues. I prefer a util called CCleaner found at http://www.ccleaner.com which does an even better job than the Windows Disk Cleanup and it also can check for registry issues. When checking for registry issues, run it about 3-4 times until it lists no other issues.

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select both options. It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive. This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.

Follow up all of that with a full Defrag to ensure the best performance you can of the system.

July 20, 2009 03:09 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6559
gumboman

Novice
Thanks, will give it a try!
July 20, 2009 07:08 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6589
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
for your and others information, this campaign was started around 07/15/2009, and should last a month, the pop up should be showed in AVG Free EN language only, probably 4 times per week only.
As was already said in another thread, this campaign is pointed to users, who are satisfied with AVG and would like to pay for it (get better AVG Technical support, more AVG components to protect the computer, better scheduler of tests and updates, ...) and as you are using AVG for free, it can show you some "advertisement to buy AVG"... especially when this campaign is running only one month per year...
Thanks
***************AVG Team
July 20, 2009 18:42 Re: AVG Pop-up Ads #6755
Biker123

Novice

------------------------------------- POST REMOVED -------------------------------------

Please do not hijack someone else's help thread by posting your comments, questions or opinions in their help thread.
Please read The Forum Rules

Also please remember to include the info we need to assist you when you create your own new thread for what you are posting about.
What information should I include?

Edited by rdsok