Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » Locked Files etc When Scanning
January 14, 2010 11:31 Locked Files etc When Scanning #57471
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
jasneymacsmallpiece

Novice
Whenever I full scan it comes up with a very very long list of "locked files not tested" including things like the recycle bins. Plus two or three that contains macros. It rarely finds any infections or whatever. Is this normal and does it matter ? I'm pretty new to all this and am not inclined to buy any full version until I can properly use and understand this free one. I really need help please...regards Jas
January 14, 2010 11:56 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #57473
BIG AL 43

If you are seeing the error message "Locked file. Not tested." this link from the "Old Forum" may assist you....

Posted by: jzygala (IP Logged)
Date: July 28, 2008 07:16PM

It would also appear that you have requested the additional scan report for locked files. Otherwise I believe these items would not be showing up. I have never used the option, so cannot speak from experience.

To see the setting for a manual scan, select "Change scan settings" under Scan whole computer on the Computer scanner page. Select "Set additional scan reports..." on the next dialog screen. You will see a bunch of options, one of which is to report locked files. If this was set inadvertently, you can uncheck it.

The same option is available for schedule scans.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

January 14, 2010 11:59 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #57479
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

some information about locked files could be found at this Knowledge Base 2677 - http://free.avg.com/cz-en/faq.num-2677#faq_2677

Thanks
***************AVG Team
January 19, 2010 10:24 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #58643
jasneymacsmallpiece

Novice
Hi thanks. So I can shut off the reporting but does it matter that these files are locked? Should they be somehow unlocked to allow the scan to check them? How are they unlocked or doesn't it matter--Jas
January 19, 2010 12:33 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #58725
Prestoner

Novice
jasneymacsmallpiece wrote
Hi thanks. So I can shut off the reporting but does it matter that these files are locked? Should they be somehow unlocked to allow the scan to check them? How are they unlocked or doesn't it matter--Jas

It does matter when some files are locked. For example if your account files are locked then you cannot log into your Windows account.

I think I have the same problems as you do. But probably more severe since the above is what exactly is happening to me. The whole folder c:\Documents and Setting\Account_name is blocked and I cannot even start my Windows XP.

I have to boot in safe mode and the accounts displayed do not include my account (because XP could not find my account). I ran AVG scan in safe mode, it ran a command like scanner only and return a long list of locked files. But return virus free.

It looked like VIRUS or my PC had been hacked and the hacker locked my files? I cannot have any access to any files under my account. (Other accounts seems to be OK). I am puzzled! AVG please shed some light. Many thanks!

January 25, 2010 12:00 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #60025
jasneymacsmallpiece

Novice
I have submitted feedback to the AVG FAQ people re this. So far no one has been able to explain why these files have become locked and AVG appear to be no help whatsoever in this.I will not upgrade this AVG checker until I can be sure it works better than it has so far. It seems to do everything else other than find viruses. It is a nightmare. I had Kaspersky for ages up until this and Kaspersky was no problem at all. Jas
January 26, 2010 04:38 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #60199
Prestoner

Novice
I guess it may not be sabotaged by a virus (?). It could be some hacking activity or ... something else (?)

But I do hope AVG have some idea about this. Too bad, they do not until now.

Because of this my pc when booting up, it's OK only until the windows accounts screen starting to appear, then shut down itself. (It could not display the accounts screen, probably because it could not find my account information).

Hmmm!
February 8, 2010 13:56 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #62859
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

there are two types of locked files in AVG scan:

- files, which are in use by other process (operating system) and mostly critical in use. As they are still locked by system, they cannot be infected.

- files, you have not enough access rights to view them - typically other user accounts. Please be informed that automatic AVG scan is run with SYSTEM rights, which has access to all folders, but manually run scan has only access to logged user's folder, not the others.

Because of this my pc when booting up, it's OK only until the windows accounts screen starting to appear, then shut down itself.
Is this complete shutdown (turn off) or computer restart? Did you some new software/driver installation before this happens at first?

Thanks
***************AVG Team
February 18, 2010 14:06 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #65093
jasneymacsmallpiece

Novice
Thank-you
December 28, 2010 05:00 Re: Locked Files etc When Scanning #140269
mosesallen56

Novice
mosesallen56..

this is good information and i will put it to good use
moses v. allen jr.javascript:gdsCode(document.signature_form.signature,'%20wink%20')