Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage
July 1, 2009 19:28 Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage #2909
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
daavis

Novice
Hi,
I have been a long time user of AVG free version from 2003 onwards. The issue that i am facing at present is unique and has been observed in the latest version of AVG free editions. the problems have been systematically mentioned below.

ISSUES:
1. System start up is very much delayed. Even after the windows start-up tune, task-bar & cursor pointer is not ready and takes additional 45-50sec to become active.
2. While listening to Media player,when other application (adobe acrobat/ MS word etc.) is started, the playing of the song gets stuck and sometimes even hangs the player.
3. Handling of 2-3 applications or multiple browser usage or folder access keeps the desktop stuck and Windows minimises in a slow motion.
4. starting certain system intensive application like "Blaze media", takes a hell longer time (almost 2 minutes)

TROUBLE IDENTIFIED:
AVGRSX.exe (Resident shield) consumes max CPU power (80-99%) each time an application is invoked and hinders/delays in the opening of these applications when started in all the above instances AS OBSERVED IN "PROCESS VIEW" OF TASK MANGER.

REQUIRED SOLUTION:
Prevent AVGRSX.exe from running while starting already installed application or prevent it from consuming max CPU usage.

Methods tried:
1. Adding path files for those applications in "manage exceptions" of Resident shield.

Result:
AVGRSX.exe runs the first time each application is started and delays the time taken for loading of application. subsequent run of those application after closing, does not activate RESIDENT SHIELD and loading is faster, AS MONITERED IN "PROCESS VIEW" OF TASK MANGER.

2. Disabling Resident shield and re-checking the performance upon restart.
Result:
- System activation after the start-up tune is just 14 sec.
- no hanging of media player or song getting stuck.
- easily handling more than 3 applications etc.
- System intensive application like "Blaze media" takes just 32 sec to start.

My System information:

Version: 2002
Service Pack 2

Processor:
VIA Nehemiah 1.00GHz
RAM: 448 MB (512MB)

Antivirus:
AVG version 8.5.339
Virus DB: 270.13.1/2211
Licence type: free

Manage exceptions added: (Manually added, default is blank)

D:\My Documents\My Music\*.mp3\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\
C:\Program Files\Common Files\
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\
C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\
C:\Program Files\Britannica 8.0\Concise Encyclopedia\starter.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Britannica 8.0\
C:\Program Files\Blaze Media Pro\BMP.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Blaze Media Pro\
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Adobe\
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BlueSoleil.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QuickTimePlayer.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Sudoku Up\SudokuUp.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Sudoku Up\
C:\Program Files\Solent\PageNest\PageNest.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Solent\
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\uTorrent\
C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Rmvtrjan.exe\ *
C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe/prefetch:1\ *
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE\ *
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSACCESS.EXE\ *
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\POWERPNT.EXE\ *
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE\ *
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\

* Added through "Add List" option in Manage exception.
Others using "Add Path" option.

Is the inclusion of these file paths/lists correct?
What else should be done to improve the performance of my system?
These problems started showing only after i upgraded to the latest AVG version. (I have been using AVG from 2003 till date.)
What additional settings should be done to make AVG & its Resident shield perform efficiently?

Kindly provide your valuable feedback/advice/suggestion(s).
Thanking you in advance.
Warm regards.
Siva Adarsh.
July 1, 2009 19:36 Re: Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage #2911
rdsok

You didn't list any other protection software nor did you say you had none and you didn't list if there had ever been any other antivirus installed ( previously or currently ) ... since these are the most common causes of slow performance.... please provide that information.

The following will also help most systems but may still rely on the above missing information...

First let's start by cleaning up all temporary files and check for registry issues. I prefer a util called CCleaner found at http://www.ccleaner.com which does an even better job than the Windows Disk Cleanup and it also can check for registry issues. When checking for registry issues, run it about 3-4 times until it lists no other issues.

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select both options. It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive. This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.

Follow up all of that with a full Defrag to ensure the best performance you can of the system.

==========================================================

Quick Reference Links

What information should I include?

Forum Rules

AVG 8.5.x Free FAQ's

AVG 8.5.x User Manual ( requires Adobe Reader )

How To Clean An Infected Computer

What to do if you suspect a file, registry setting or website is infected and not currently detected by AVG

What to do if you suspect a detection is a false positive

==========================================================

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167
July 6, 2009 08:37 Re: Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage #3563
daavis

Novice
Thank you "rdsok" for highlighting the lacunae in my post. I will certainly provide the needful info.

Other protection software: Trojan Remover (trial version 6.7.9.2581 using database 7342)
Expires on: Today 06-Jul-09
Reason for installation: 1. Could'nt access AVG website (Even upon clicking on the link provided on the AVG 8.5 interface)
2. Windows Update site and microsoft.com not opening (showed website cannot be found), while all other sites opened/functioned properly.
The problem got solved after installing it and was able to update my WinXP SP2 and access AVG website.

Other antivirus installed: Nil (previous or current)

I will also try going through the suggestions provided. However, I am not sure if this would solve my problem.
The issue that i face is the CPU power consumption by avgrsx.exe (resident shield) as it scans each file when an already installed application is started.
since having given exceptions manually, the CPU consumption by avgrsx.exe is nil on the launch of application second time after closing but still consumes max power on first launch of the same application.
without giving exception, each time avgrsx.exe consumes max CPU power.
this maximum consumption of CPU for an already installed application is what i want to be eliminated or minimised. Can this be done?
July 6, 2009 09:38 Re: Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage #3567
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
mentioned avgrsx.exe CPU usage is mostly related with some other conflict application/infection.

Please be informed that in the next AVG9 will be implemented special algorithms to not check the same file without change twice (only after new virus database will be released), so it will solve many slowdown of computer.

Just for sure, please check last utility at this post - Gmer, if the output showed something interesting for us. As reported issue with no access AVG or Microsoft webpages definitely points to some infection and there could be some remaints.

Thanks
***************AVG Team
July 9, 2009 14:01 Re: Resident Shield Consuming Max CPU Usage #4163
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi daavis,
you will be soon contacted by AVG techsupport.
Thanks
***************AVG Team
July 16, 2009 13:41 Long Startup Time And High CPU Usage #5699
LargeGnT

Novice

------------------------------------- POST REMOVED -------------------------------------

Please do not hijack someone else's help thread by posting your comments, questions or opinions in their help thread.
Please read The Forum Rules

Also please remember to include the info we need to assist you when you create your own new thread for what you are posting about.
What information should I include?

Edited by rdsok
July 16, 2009 14:06 Re: Long Startup Time And High CPU Usage #5701
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
you will be soon contacted by AVG techsupport for some analysis.
Thank you.
***************AVG Team
July 30, 2009 15:54 Re: Long Startup Time And High CPU Usage #9349
meiku

Novice
Hi
I had - as many other people also - the problem of a very slow system start up with AVG8 free. This happend on both my desktop computer and on my laptop.
I my case I solved the problem by uninstalling the TrueCrypt encryption software and installing it again.
The AVG startup monopolised the system at Winlogon time, when the avgrsstx.dll is notified
Regards