Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » My Computer Won't Load Up At All
December 15, 2009 13:59 My Computer Won't Load Up At All #50423
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
ScouseG

Novice
when i installed avg 8.5 on my laptop running windows xp, it installed correctly but then when i shut it down and tried to switch my computer bak on again it wont load up and i cant even access my desktop and dispays this message:-

A problem has been detected and windows will be shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.
if this screen appears again follow these steps.
disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disc defragmentation or back up utilities, check your hardrive configuration and check for any updated drivers, run chk dsk /F to check for harddrive corruption and then retart you computer

*** STOP 0x00000024

i would be very grateful if you can fix this problem

many thanks
G.H
December 15, 2009 18:30 Re: My Computer Won't Load Up At All #50515
AustrAlien

Hacker
ScouseG wrote
*** STOP 0x00000024

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Step 1
Disconnect or remove any other hard drive that may be connected to this system: This includes internal secondary/slave hard drives, external USB (or other hard drives), USB flashdrives etc.
Try booting the system now.

Step 2 .............. if there is only the one hard drive connected and it still fails to boot with the STOP 0x24 error ...
The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you have trouble identifying your hard drive manufacturer, use the Hitachi diagnostic utility: It will work with most hard drives.

Step 3 .......... if there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD
(or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso):
Do the following ...
[list]1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press ENTER.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.[/list]

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat if necessary, until no more errors are found/repaired.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
----------------
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

December 16, 2009 08:17 Re: My Computer Won't Load Up At All #50651
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

I would like to ask you to navigate to folder "C:\Windows\Minidump" and pack all actual files into an archive and upload it to some online storage (rapidshare, etc.) for closer analysis.

Thanks
***************AVG Team
December 16, 2009 14:26 Re: My Computer Won't Load Up At All #50867
ScouseG

Novice
how can i access my c:\windows\minidump files if windows wont let me past the error screen and it wont even let me access safe mode, my computer just freezes at the error screen.

thanks
December 16, 2009 14:52 Re: My Computer Won't Load Up At All #50883
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

Please use these steps as it is not possible to boot Windows OS even to the safe mode:

1. Please insert Installation CD of Windows 2000/XP and boot your computer.

2. Choose and run Recovery Console (it will be key “R” on first waiting screen for user input)

3. Choose operating system Windows you want to repair.

4. Type “listsvc” command and hit <Enter> key. This command shows the list of all services and drivers that are being loaded with system. Note all services/drivers beginning with avg string.

5. You can disable loading these services/drivers with disable command, i.e. you have to type the following commands:

disable avg9emc (AVG8 E-Mail Scanner)
disable avg9wd (AVG8 Watchdog)
disable avgldx86 (AVG AVi loader Driver x86)
disable avgMfx86 (AVG On-acces Scanner Minifilter Driver x86)
disable avgTdix (AVG8 network redirector)

6. Restart your computer and boot your Windows normally.

7. Uninstall AVG and reboot again.

Check the situation and mentioned files again.

Thank you

***************AVG Team