Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Update » How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot
Page 1 of 2 12››
July 11, 2009 08:53 How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4489
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
Andy Ling

Novice
I have just suffered again from AVG automatically rebooting my PC after an update.

I have the update options set to "Update Immediately" "Require confirmation from the user" and "Require confirmation to close running applications"

What happens after an update is AVG pops up a window asking if it can close Firefox. This has a number counting down. If I do not cancel before the number reaches zero, firefox is closed.

I then get a similar popup from AVG asking if it can reboot the PC. Again, if I don't cancel the window, the PC gets rebooted.

This means if I am not sat at the PC when this happens, my applications get closed and the PC is rebooted without my permission.

How can I stop this happening?

I am running Windows XP SP3 with ZoneAlarm and no other security software

AVG version 8.5.387, Virus DB 270.13.10/2231
July 11, 2009 09:13 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4497
BIG AL 43

• Check advanced settings of update – update => Update immediately – Require confirmation from the user
• Empty temporary update files
• Check conflict applications
• Restart and try again

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

July 11, 2009 09:26 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4499
Andy Ling

Novice
BIG AL 43 wrote
• Check advanced settings of update – update => Update immediately – Require confirmation from the user
• Empty temporary update files
• Check conflict applications
• Restart and try again

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,052
Alan

As I said in my original message, those are the settings I have set.

This doesn't happen for every update. I am assuming some do require a reboot. I do get asked, but with a countdown timer. If I don't cancel the timer, then AVG does the reboot anyway.
July 11, 2009 10:27 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4507
BIG AL 43

Empty temporary update files.... FAQ 1679 http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1679#faq_1679.

Alan

July 11, 2009 17:10 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4569
rdsok

If AVG is already in the middle of a process such as scanning or its modules are in use by an open browser etc.... then the only option to update those files is to do it after a reboot since you can't update a file that is being used.

You can do some things to help avoid this situation... schedule the updates before any scheduled scan, don't have an email client or an internet browser open during the update timeframe

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

July 12, 2009 12:16 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4707
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
just a small note - if the computer is really rebooted after the counter reached 0, the situation is not mostly caused by AVG update, but AVG scan, which has set up automatic healing and if the test found some infection/warning (cookies)/information, which could not remove immeadiately, the test forces this restart to do it.
Thanks
***************AVG Team
July 12, 2009 21:53 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4775
Andy Ling

Novice
OK, I have deleted the temporary files, but I'm not convinced this is going to stop AVG doing a reboot when it feels the need.

The computer is running most of the time, it has email and browser running all the time. So there is a good chance AVG will have difficulty updating modules.

I don't have a scheduled disk scan, but obviously files are being scanned as AVG sees necessary.

I am quite happy to accept AVG requires a reboot. I just don't want it to do it while I am not sat in front of the keyboard giving my permission.

So how do I stop it under ALL circumstances from doing a reboot (and shutting down applications) without me explicitly saying "do it now".
July 12, 2009 22:04 Tricky Situation #4779
tafara

Novice

------------------------------------- POST REMOVED -------------------------------------

Please do not hijack someone else's help thread by posting your comments,
questions or opinions in their help thread.
Please read The Forum Rules

Also please remember to include the info we need to assist you when you
create your own new thread for what you are posting about.
What Information Should I Include?

Edited by BIG AL 43
July 13, 2009 05:42 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #4829
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
as I said, AVG program (large virus) update could ask for restart, but not do it itself (counter -> force restart), only information about needed restart will be showed and it will be still visible in AVG User Interface.
As mostly the restart request is caused by program update - run from scheduler, you could disable the program update plan and sometimes ask for update manually - possibility of program update will be showed. Else the standard virus database update plan will be still running...
Thanks
***************AVG Team
July 14, 2009 07:24 Re: How Do I Prevent Auto Reboot #5101
Andy Ling

Novice
OK, so it looks like if I want to be sure my PC wont be rebooted or my applications shutdown when I'm not around I have to turn off automatic updates disappointed .

The option for AVG to ask if it can reboot is somewhat misleading. Sure it asks, but if you don't answer it reboots anyway.

Perhaps you should consider changing this behaviour in the next version
Page 1 of 2 12››