Folder AVG Forums » Other topics » Registration and License issues » 9.0 Will Not Accept Licence Number
November 19, 2009 10:45 9.0 Will Not Accept Licence Number #40505
wooptim

Novice
Yesterday I noticed my AVG Internet Security reccomending me install an update to the new version (9.0) for the 10th time, and I followed it's suggestion. I downloaded the update through the opened AVG 8.x program, so I did not download unofficial software.

After completing the update it failed to authenticate my registration number (which still has well over 1 year remaining), however it then accepted it after promting me to re-enter it (strange?). When I opened AVG I realised that it did not have any functions, not one. Not a firewall, not an anti-virus, nor any other aspects of the previous version. It was literally a husk, and I have no idea what it was supposed to be doing other than well...nothing. Supposedly it was the full functioning Internet security program, but it was literally nothing. I wouldn't even call it a program, except for the fact that it seemed to be able to minimise. So I decided to uninstall and re-install as obviously there had been an error. Here is where s**t hits the fan. To put it bluntly, it wouldn't uninstall, nor would it reinstall, nor would any of the programs from the AVG official website help me. When eventually I got to the stage where I had stripped away most of the thing it then decided that I was a virus trying to uninstall it and would not budge. I had to go through and physically delete the registry files and protected files that were still in existence. This was the most annoying part; AVG could not be uninstalled, it could not be re-installed, it had completely offed my internet so I couldn't get online to check for solutions, and the files were all protected, even when running as administrator. Eventually I cleaned it all out and AVG 9.0 and any remnants of 8.x was gone for good. Completely and utterly. I can stress there is absolutely no files that remained.

I then attempted to reinstall AVG version 8.x but alas there is no official download to be found. So it was back to 9.0 again and wishfully thinking it would actually work this time. So I download the internet security version (the one I had paid for in 8.0 for 3 years or so) and of course, it will not accept my activation number/licence.

The licence number is part of a 5 pack, it begins with 8I-..............

I would really love some help trying to activate AVG internet security 9.0 as I am reaching the point of complete dissapointment :disappointed:
November 19, 2009 12:00 Re: 9.0 Will Not Accept Licence Number #40547
BIG AL 43

The forum is only for AVG Free Edition... the help is only from other AVG Free users. Any questions concerning the Pro either Trial or Paid for version must be directed at AVG's Tech or Sales support on the main website http://www.avg.com/support-existing.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

November 27, 2009 21:12 AVG9 Free - But No License? #44193
igivup

Novice
1. I downloaded the FREE AVG9 to a CD for XPHome use. It was given a licence number which worked fine.
2. Now I have installed from the same CD to a second XP computer and setup insists on a Licence Number but refuses the number I used before and I have no other.
3. So how do I get a free licence number please.... else I can't use AVG.

November 27, 2009 22:44 Re: AVG9 Free - But No License? #44227
BIG AL 43

@ igivup

Are you absolutely sure that you've downloaded & saved the correct install file http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free. With AVG Free you quite definitely don't have to be involved with a license number. This is auto installed during the installation process. You may have downloaded the 30 day free trial Pro (paid for) version.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
November 28, 2009 10:16 Re: AVG9 Free - But No License? #44385
igivup

Novice
Thanks Big Al. I'm OK now but still puzzled.
I only had one download of AVG9 which is showing an Active licence for AVG AV Free plus the Licence number.... so it was not a Pro trial version.
I followed your link for a second download which worked exactly as you advised and when I copied it across to the second PC it installed + licence number as originally expected.
November 28, 2009 10:41 Re: AVG9 Free - But No License? #44397
BIG AL 43

OK No probs.. Pleased to see that you appear to be now sorted.

Alan