Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » [OBSOLETE] Information and Alerts » Broken Digital Signature
Page 1 of 2 12››
November 22, 2009 23:12 Broken Digital Signature #41973
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
str8g8

Novice
"D:\i386\Apps\App00549\269601usa8.exe";"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.";""

This popped up from last scan. I don't know if I should remove it it is in a file that is in the recovery partition, "protected by PC Angel"

There was a similar post, but gave no info on correcting.
November 22, 2009 23:49 Re: Broken Digital Signature #41997
BIG AL 43

Digital Signatures are used to verify that a file, email, macro etc are not altered from the original that the author had released and had digitally signed.

Check the drive for errors, re-install the program and if the problem remains, ask the author why their digital sig is broken... AVG can detect the issue but it can't address it directly.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

November 23, 2009 00:33 Re: Broken Digital Signature #42019
str8g8

Novice
I appologize in advance for my ignorance but,
I have Win XP, what tools should I use to check my drive for errors?
Also, re-install which program?
If you are referring to this one...laughing:\i386\Apps\App00549\269601usa8.exe
It does not show up in the location, when I click "go to file" it is in the recovery partition drive "D"

November 23, 2009 02:54 Re: Broken Digital Signature #42039
rdsok

Check your hard drive for file/system errors by running chkdsk. Open My Computer and right click on Local Disk C: selecting Properties, click the Tools tab and in the Error Checking area click the "Check now" button and select both options. It will tell you that it can't test the drive right now and it will ask if you want to schedule it for the next system startup... select Yes. Restart your computer so that it can check the drive. This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.

If that doesn't help correct the situation... contact whomever created your recovery partition ( system manufacturer ? ) and see what you can do to get a set of recovery disks since you don't want to corrupt what you have at the present time any further.

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

December 6, 2009 06:15 Re: Broken Digital Signature #47731
Milo OShea

Novice
I'm not a techie, but I do know that i386 is a key element of the Windows package. Personally, I would discourage you from meddling with it unless you have a very good reason to do so, and ideally have a professional 'looking over your shoulder' - even if only at the end of a phone line. As we Brits say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. AVG is occasionally prone to false positives/doing more harm than good. On one occasion I wrecked one of my Windows installations by allowing it to be too zealous. I had to do a complete reinstallation after Microsoft's on-line team failed to repair the damage.

Milo
January 10, 2010 18:30 Broken Digital Signature #56273
ibcann

Novice
Is it possbile that this alert comes up becasue the installation of the software was not installed in a typical way (i.e., simply not a legally purchased copy of the software) and that, in fact, the notice points to something that MIGHT BE completely harmless?

In reference to: "The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation"
January 20, 2010 22:36 Re: Broken Digital Signature #59087
PhotoDave

Novice
I get the exact same info it traces back to win 32 cabinet self extractor not sure if should get rid of it or just ignore it anyone got any ideas? my only difference is the location.
February 8, 2010 14:18 Re: Broken Digital Signature #62869
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

could you please upload mentioned file (which is still detected due broken signature) in an archive (zip file) to some online storage for closer analysis? Have you checked your hard disk with checkdisk utility?

Thank you
***************AVG Team
February 10, 2010 08:24 Re: Broken Digital Signature #63237
Tralena

Novice
Hello,

I ran a scan (below is what AVG caught). Is this something that I should just leave alone? I don't want to delete something that should not be deleted. Is this catch a 'False alarm'? Please advise soon smile

"F:\Backup\TRALENA\C\Soundmax Audio Driver\ADI1980_W.zip:\Windows\269601USA8.EXE";
"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.";""

"F:\Backup\TRALENA\C\Soundmax Audio Driver\ADI1980_W.zip";
"The file is signed with a broken digital signature, issued by: Microsoft Corporation.";""

Perhaps someone from AVG could assist me with this one as well.

Thank you kindly,

Tralena
February 10, 2010 12:29 Re: Broken Digital Signature #63277
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,

could I ask you to upload to some favorite online storage (rapidshare, ...) this file "F:\Backup\TRALENA\C\Soundmax Audio Driver\ADI1980_W.zip" for closer analysis?

Have you checked your hard disk errors?

Thank you
***************AVG Team
Page 1 of 2 12››