Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 8.5 Free Edition » AVG Watchdog Service
Page 1 of 2 12››
October 3, 2009 16:54 AVG Watchdog Service #21005
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
bobpetras

Novice
I'm using a program - Photodex ProShow Producer - that needs to access the Internet to permit productions to be uploaded to the Photodex web-site plus enable downloads as well.

This function won't work while AVG 8.5 is running. It blocks Internet access even if an exception is written in the AVG resident shield. You have to go into the System Configuration Utility of Windows XP and unclick the AVG Watchdog service - restart the computer - and then Photodex can access the Internet.

Are there any ways around AVG to permit it to provide programs with full Internet access?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

October 3, 2009 17:11 Re: AVG Watchdog Service #21011
BIG AL 43

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

October 3, 2009 17:15 Re: AVG Watchdog Service #21013
dusano123

Please try to disable LinkScanner component and tell us if it helped.

Also provide us with version of Photodex ProShow Producer.

Thanks
October 3, 2009 18:55 Re: AVG Watchdog Service #21019
bobpetras

Novice
dusano wrote

Thanks

I am using the new Beta release of Photodex ProShow Producer 4.1.2647. I am Beta tester for Photodex.

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 on a new Intel Core i7 920 Quad-Core Socket LGA1366 2.66 Ghz processor with a Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard. It has 6 GB of Corsair memory.

I have AVG 8.5.283 installed.

Thanks.
October 3, 2009 19:19 Re: AVG Watchdog Service #21021
bobpetras

Novice
I disabled the LinkScanner and Photodex ProShow Producer worked flawlessly.

I would assume that when I need to use the Internet features of Photodex, I will simply disable the LinkScanner and that should work. Thanks for your assistance.

dusano wrote

Thanks
October 3, 2009 19:22 Re: AVG Watchdog Service #21023
BIG AL 43

The latest version of AVG Free is actually 8.5.420. You could try this....

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afe
2. Run the AVG Free install file ( if running Vista or Windows 7: remember to right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator"):
3. Choose the 'Repair Installation' option and follow the wizard to complete the process
4. Restart your computer then update and test to see if the issue remains...

Standard and limited user accounts do not have the proper rights to make changes to Windows so always log into a Windows with a user account that has administrator rights when installing any software including AVG.

Most antispyware, parental control and process monitor types of protection software can block the required changes when installing any program, so make certain to disable them when installing or uninstalling anything.

What firewall are you using?.... Add the AVG files listed in this FAQ 1334: What AVG processes and URLs need to be allowed in 3rd party firewalls/programs that are also installed in your computer to the firewall's permissions/exceptions list giving them full internet access. If the AVG files are already listed in your firewall properly, remove and then re-add them back to ensure the settings are current. You won't find avgam.exe on AVG 8.5 Free. Also if you don't use the 'Personal E-mail Scanner' you won't have avgemc.exe on your system.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
November 10, 2009 05:26 Microsoft Closes AVG Watchdog Service #34921
delprete10

Novice
I got a message from microsoft windows: "avg watchdog service stopped working and was closed"
( data execution prevention has closed avg)

Please advice
November 10, 2009 06:51 Re: Microsoft Closes AVG Watchdog Service #34939
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
please check this settings:
- menu Start -> (Settings ->) Control Panel -> System
- choose tab "Advanced" and in first part "Performance" click on button "Settings"
- choose tab "Data Execution Prevention" and check that first option "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is used
- confirm OK

Else could you please provide us with all needed information?

Thanks
***************AVG Team
November 11, 2009 02:27 Re: Microsoft Closes AVG Watchdog Service #35561
delprete10

Novice
Thank you, the option: turn on DEP......" was checked, I wanted to make sure no part of AVG got turned off.
Sorry I didn't give you any details,
windows vista home prem serv pack 1
AVG version 9.0.704 virus db 270.14.60/2495
have firefox, ISP is Embarq DSL
Thanks again
delprete10
November 11, 2009 07:19 Re: Microsoft Closes AVG Watchdog Service #35647
ondraploteny

Administrator
Hi,
please check also this thread - How to clean an infected computer.

Else could I ask you to upload the "avgwdsvc.log" and "avgwd.log" files in an archive to some online storage for brief analysis?
The log files are stored in this folder*:

C:\ProgramData\AVG9\Log

Or paste some last lines (50+) from that log into your next post.

Thanks

* Some files or folders could be hidden by default. This can be changed in Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Show hidden files and folders. (The location and names can vary, depending on the operating system version).
***************AVG Team
Page 1 of 2 12››