Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG Installation/Uninstallation » AVG 9 & Microsoft Security Essentials Compatibility
November 5, 2009 06:34 AVG 9 & Microsoft Security Essentials Compatibility #32255
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
WyseAss

Novice
If you have Microsoft Security Essentials already installed, and attempt to upgrade your AVG 8 to AVG 9, you will receive a prompt that Microsoft Security Essentials is not compatible with AVG. It gives you the option to cancel the installation and uninstall Security Essentials or ignore the compatibility issue (not recommended of course) and continue with the installation any way. angry

For those of us that like to have a multi-layered protection, I have discovered that the installation will fail if you choose to continue after receiving warning. But all is not as bad is it may seem at first, after my initial failure, I simply opened Task Manager and ended the process 'msseces.exe' that runs the real-time protection of the Microsoft Security Essentials, and restarted the AVG installation. A restart of computer will restarts the msseces.exe process, and both programs seem to play well together after that. Scans from both applications completed successfully, and neither one triggered any false positives or warnings from the other. smile

On another note; The previous technique was performed on a laptop with XP Pro, while the next suggestion worked on another laptop with XP Home installed.
Since I did not have Microsoft Security Essentials already installed on the XP Home system, I simply upgraded my AVG to version 9 first, and Security Essentials had no compatibility issues whatsoever with installing. tounge

Just thought some of you out there might like to know!
November 6, 2009 02:28 Re: AVG 9 & Microsoft Security Essentials Compatibility #32897
rdsok

You should never have multiple antivirus programs installed since they will conflict with each other. See this post for more information as well as uninstall/cleanup util links Before Installing AVG 8.5 Free Edition

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

January 22, 2010 23:27 Uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials #59503
bobbyb1

Novice
I had a tech uninstall AVG 9.0 Free, and install microsoft security essentials, but he was not able to get the avg free to reinstall, as he could not get the microsoft security essentials working properly. Now I get a host of error messages when I open outlook, and when I open an email or calender. He tried uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials and re-installing AVG Free, but now AVG won't allow the install unless I uninstall the Microsoft Security, which I did. Apparently there are some hidden files left on my computer that my uninstaller cannot see and remove, so each time I try and re-install aVG, then I get an error. confused
January 24, 2010 18:24 Re: AVG 9 & Microsoft Security Essentials Compatibility #59789
bobbyb1

Novice
I had seen this post before posting my question, this does not help. Any response to MY specific problem?
January 24, 2010 18:53 Re: AVG 9 & Microsoft Security Essentials Compatibility #59799
BIG AL 43

Have a look @ this link http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/c86fd37f-52a4-46b1-8989-41a72eec2361.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan