October 27, 2009 12:57 FBrowsing Advisor? #27829
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
joe worried

Novice
I have just noticed FBrowsing Advisor in my Control PanelAdd or Remove Programs. When I browsed for more info the page I got to recommend I download a program to remove it. Should I just remove it normally via Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs or should I download the removal program and deal with it that way?

Cheers Joe
October 28, 2009 00:42 Re: FBrowsing Advisor? #28177
rdsok

Please read and follow the instructions in How To Clean An Infected Computer

If you can not download or update the utils on the infected system try downloading both the programs and their updates on another computer and then copy them to a CD, DVD or USB disk to use on the infected system.

If you do happen to find malware that AVG does not detect when cleaning the system, please follow these instructions What to do if you suspect a file, registry setting or website is infected and not currently detected by AVG

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

October 28, 2009 01:17 Re: FBrowsing Advisor? #28193
joe worried

Novice
All I needed was a simple answer to a simple question - yes or no?
October 28, 2009 02:16 Re: FBrowsing Advisor? #28239
rdsok

The utils mentioned in the post... I know are safe to use... I can't say the same for some unmentioned program you may have seen on some websearch... if you want to risk getting a rogue spyware, download whatever you wish.

October 31, 2009 09:52 Re: FBrowsing Advisor? #29539
joe worried

Novice
I've been following your advice about removing programs via conrol pannel etc. There are some in there that I don't remember installing. Could you please advise on: Support.com Software, Abacast Client, Context Program, desk PDF 2.5 Professional Edition and Smart Defrag

I unintalled Ad-Aware and installed Spybot. It is very slow to open on the laptop I found the Win32/heur virus on. Could there be a good reason why Spybot takes so long to open?

Regards Joe
October 31, 2009 17:18 Re: FBrowsing Advisor? #29635
rdsok

When you purchase a new computer, often it will come preinstalled with other programs besides just Windows. In addition, when installing other programs they will also install ancillary utils/programs to help support the main program itself. Use internet searchs to see if the item you have a question about may be an ancillary program or a malware... AVG includes a search toolbar that you can use for this if you don't already have a favorite one or you can go directly to an internet search site manually ( like Google etc )

Each computer make/model will have different performances... So its CPU type and speed, the amount of system memory, the amount of space on the hard drive and what other programs are starting up all affect the speed of the system and the programs you open. If the computer in question is also infected by malware, this can have a big impact on performance of a program.

So for now, don't concern yourself on performance related issues... save that for after you have the system cleaned up. If you still have these after cleaning the system up, cleanup your temp files and defrag the hard drive.