Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » avgxch32.dll Error Using Outlook
October 26, 2009 13:59 avgxch32.dll Error Using Outlook #27313
BillGoodman

Novice
I installed version 9 this morning. The previous version had been working very well. My Outlook now gives me an error message: "C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll" could not be installed or loaded. I've tried the fix that I found on one of the threads, but I still have the error. The message said to send the fixsmo log, but I don't know to whom to send it. Can you help please?
October 26, 2009 14:55 Fix Attempt #27335
BillGoodman

Novice
Tried uninstalling 9.0 and reinstalling, same error on Outlook still.
October 26, 2009 15:02 Specifications #27337
BillGoodman

Novice
Windows version (XP)
AVG version 9.0.686 and virus db version 270.14.32/2460
Other antivirus software installed - none / previously uninstalled (Trend)
Other protection software installed none
The exact error message you are getting - see initial post
October 26, 2009 15:32 Re: Specifications #27359
rdsok

The normal methods that Windows uses to uninstall programs with seldom work well enough for antivirus programs which means that there are leftovers that can later affect a system if these are left behind without properly cleaning these up. Usually issues do not show up until long after the uninstallation was first done, sometimes it's even years later. The companies that make the antivirus programs have known of this issue for a long time which is why most also have created uninstall/cleanup utilities to address this problem.

We have links to many of these utils listed in this sticky post Before Installing AVG 8.5 Free Edition. Please run the proper uninstall/cleanup utility for the antivirus that you had installed previously on your computer to ensure that you have no issues or to address issues you may now be experiencing.

AVG Free Volunteer Moderator
AVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 12, 2004
My total posts at the old AVG Free Forums - 44,167

Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on
understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

October 26, 2009 15:51 Log Report #27369
BillGoodman

Novice
LOG=fixmso.log
LOGONSERVER=\\SKCISRV1
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Path=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\CLIENT~1;C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\CLIENT~1\Shared;C:\PROGRA~1\IBM\CLIENT~1\Emulator;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;$Path
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PMDRIVE=V:
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
Thanks for the suggestion RSDOK.

I tried the clean-up program, but still the same errors.

Here's the log report.
:confused:
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0d08
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
QTJAVA=C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
SESSIONNAME=Console
SILENT=/s
SOURCE=C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TARGET=C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\BillG\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\BillG\LOCALS~1\Temp
USERDNSDOMAIN=STORMKING.INT
USERDOMAIN=STORMKING
USERNAME=billg
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\BillG
windir=C:\WINDOWS
================================================================================================================
All AVGXCH32.DLL files available on C:
C:\Documents and Settings\BillG\Local Settings\Temp\AVGDownloadManager\packages\11\avgxch32.dll
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll
================================================================================================================
SOURCE: C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll
TARGET: C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll
EXTEND: C:\Documents and Settings\BillG\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\EXTEND.DAT
Listing directory (C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll)...
avgxch32.dll
Listing directory (C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll)...
File Not Found
Start copying avgxch32.dll ...
1 file(s) copied.
Directory listing (C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll)...
avgxch32.dll
Deleting EXTEND.DAT files...
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\BillG\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\EXTEND.DAT
Could Not Find C:\WINDOWS\EXTEND.DAT
Unregistering avgxch32.dll...
Unregistering C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll...
Deleting C:\WINDOWS\system32\avgxch32.dll
Registering C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgxch32.dll...
October 26, 2009 17:37 Fixed!! #27425
BillGoodman

Novice
After reading the suggestions regarding this problem on other posts more carefully I followed these steps:

1. Downloaded the 76MB program file, NOT the installation program
2. Used 'Uninstall AVG Free' to removed 9.0
3. Deleted AVG files from Program Files and Application Data
4. Reinstalled 9.0 using the downloaded program, NOT the small installation program.

It worked!! No more Outlook error.

Thanks