Folder AVG Forums » Archive » Archive » AVG 9.0 Free Edition » AVG 9 And Windows Defender
Page 1 of 3 123››
October 25, 2009 14:06 AVG 9 And Windows Defender #26881
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top
harrypen

Novice
Claiming the right to turn off a piece of protective software on a users computer, without permission, shows a staggering level of arrogance and lack of respect for the user. Itr os clear from posts in this forum that this action has caused distress. Both an apology and a corrective update is required from AVG.

Whether it is a good move or not, AVG must ask permission before making such changes. Such a request must be clear and open and not hidden in small print. Some companies produce software that inserts itself in every nook and cranny of a computer and decides it knows best. If AVG is going that way, it can go without my patronage.

In the meantime, I shall visit the AVG offices, turn off every fourth light (because I think it is a good idea) and stay on a camp bed in the corner to monitor any attempt to switch them back on again.
October 30, 2009 15:57 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #29277
harrypen

Novice
There may be more testing to do but there appears to be another unwelcome result of AVG 9 disabling Windows Defender. I have been having problems with Task Scheduler under Windows 7 with an error message that "The selected task "{0}" no longer exists". This renders the Task Scheduler unusable.

Inserting the Windows 7 DVD and running the upgrade option cures the problem for a while but it returns. For various reasions I suspected AVG and I uninstalled version 9 and reverted to version 8.5. So far, after many restarts and scheduled tasks running the problem has not returned.

It may be that the way in which AVG has trodden on Windows Defender has left an invalid schedule entry behind, looking for task "{0}".

Can AVG throw any light on this?
October 30, 2009 16:23 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #29287
BIG AL 43

Please read the Forum Rules.

Please provide us more information about your system so that we may have it to base our suggestions on, see What information should I include?.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan
October 31, 2009 08:48 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #29523
harrypen

Novice
I really believed that my comments were a natural development of the problems caused by AVG 9 hijacking Windows Defender without the user's authority. Doesn't the word hijack raise your hackles, it certainly does mine? Since you have placed my comment in this new thread I can continue knowing I am in the right place. There was a very supportive comment posted after my first effort but it seems to have been deleted; perhaps you should place that here too. If I were as paranoid as some of your posters appear to be I would think that my remarks are being sidelined, but I cannot believe that moderators would resort to such tactics.

There are now at least three threads that touch upon the core issue of AVG 9 and Windows Defender. It would help users coming to the forum looking for help if all these were collated into one place rather than them finding answers that are not answers at all but references to other places that turn into references... you get the idea. This would certainly help in my case since the title of this thread that you have created is quite misleading. I suggest that the untidy arrangement of all the concerns expressed over this issue be grouped under the heading "Windows Defender and AVG 9".

The first sticky item should state clearly that AVG 9 disables Windows Defender and that users can do nothing about it. Furthermore, users are reporting problems caused by this action and upset and frustration too. AVG will address the isssue as a matter of urgency with the users concerns uppermost.

It would be helpful if the question that was raised about the provenance of the claimed statement from Microsoft that Windows Defender should be turned off were answered.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium and was using AVG 9. Both were installed with default settings and no other protective software is used. i.e. it is a problem with AVG 9.
October 31, 2009 09:57 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #29541
BIG AL 43

As requested your thread has been re-titled. This will also assist when users are taking advantage of the forum search facility.

AVG Technologies are considering the situ.... Have a look @ this link http://forums.avg.com/gb-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=27465#post_27465. Just in case you hadn't spotted kodl is actually an AVG Technologies Manager.

AVG Free Volunteer ModeratorAVG Free Forum member since - Nov. 27, 2004My total posts on the Old AVG Free Forum - 27,063
Alan

November 6, 2009 13:41 Windows Defender & AVG 9 Problem #33079
LHnet

Novice
I've always been suspicious of the AVG Resident Shield causing possible problems or unintended consequenses. However, none appeared untill I installed AVG9. After a couple of reboots and checking Defender settings I went immediately to Resident Sheild and disabled the task...VOILLA...problem gone! Not only that, on a couple of machines so far, there is a noticeable responsiveness improvement. I don't know if AVG Technologies has done this by design or as I said before, an unintended consequence or bug. If by design they should be ashamed and if it's a bug they should fix it immediately. Even if they fix it I won't be enabling Resident Shield anymore thank you very much...
November 6, 2009 14:01 Re: Windows Defender & AVG 9 Problem #33081
BIG AL 43

@ LHnet

The Resident Shield is the main component protecting you from viruses. It scans accessed files and if a virus is found, the access to the file is blocked. This applies to executing infected programs, as well as to opening of infected documents or any other files.

Alan

November 6, 2009 15:24 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #33109
LHnet

Novice
Big Al...I believe you're not totally correct. The User Interface shows antivirus, antispyware, and update manager as "active" and working. The avgsrx.exe process is running, using about 12MB RAM. My belief is that the antivirus and the resident sheild both run under this process yet independent of each other, much like MS's svchost.exe which can handle several functions/services at once. Therefore, it's possible to disable resident sheild and not disturb the antivirus process. And if it's so critical, why do they provide for disabling it? Time will tell. If any of my machines get the flu I'll let you know LOL.
November 6, 2009 15:33 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #33115
BIG AL 43

@ LHnet

Have a look @ Knowledge Base #2429 http://free.avg.com/ww-en/kb.num-2429.... Extract "Please do not forget to activate the Resident Shield again once you performed the tasks requiring its deactivation".

Alan
November 6, 2009 16:28 Re: AVG 9 And Windows Defender #33149
LHnet

Novice
AL...the main point in this discussion is that AVG has NO RIGHT to disable any other legitimate program. If they don't fix this word will spread fast and that's not too good for business. I maintain that since avgrsx.exe is running and AVG's own interface shows the antivirus as active, I'm protected. If not, I'll unistall it and switch to something else. Come to think of it I'm going to fire off a note to MS's forum and flag AVG 9 as a problem, although they are probably already aware of it. Perhaps MS might want to update Defender to disable AVG!
Page 1 of 3 123››